Thread: Power Supply question - keep machine on or off at night time

Power Supply question - keep machine on or off at night time

A week ago I took my machine to a tech-place where they offered free help (can't go wrong there) in dianosing computer issues. I thought I had developed a bad virus as this thing was crashing more than I wanted. I also could not update anti-virus software (still can't). I'lll be visiting another forum on that matter. So this guy takes my box to back room to check entire system.

About 4 hours later I came back to pick thing up and he told me that the power suppy was failing. That is what caused the crashing issue (I'm not sure why). So he said replace power supply and don't use old one or I could face more serious problems (fire?) It was depressing that I had to go 3 days without this in running condition till I had $$ to buy power supply, but finally replaced power supply myself (a major life accomplishment for me).

So now things seem to be running better--as he did update OS software that was needed. But what I want to know pertains to turning this off after use, or letting it run continusly. My friend says constant on-off causes "surges" to system that may be bad. His is on continusly. But I want to hear from the jury on this. Keep machine on, or shut it down at night. This decision rests entirly in your hands.

Re: Power Supply question - keep machine on or off at night time

I will recommend you to turn off the machine in night. Do not keep in on continuously as it generates a lot of heat. The most effected hardware are the cpu, ram and hard drive. It is necessary that your system need some rest. If it is a server then no issues, you can use them continuously. Servers have better hardware and limited software installation. They can work continuously day and night. It is necessary to atleast boot the machine once in day time. If you keep your system turned off for more than a week or two then it causes some issue with power supply.

Re: Power Supply question - keep machine on or off at night time

Yeah..I tend to agree with you. I am staying with friend temporarly and he keeps his system running continously--night and day. In the past, I have always shut it down out of concern for the hard drive.

While I was in China, I had this thing boxed up in a storage unit and believed everything was safe. It wasen't being used so I thought everything was cool (except for the fact my clothes might smell a little funky). But nonetheless, I thought this machine was protected.