Thread: Apple USB Modem unable to work in Mac OS X Lion

Apple USB Modem unable to work in Mac OS X Lion

Recently I got Macbook Pro and I update to Mac OS X Lion. But I am having difficulty using my apple usb modem. I don’t know why it is not working. Anybody got any idea about this.

Re: Apple USB Modem unable to work in Mac OS X Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Man!nox View Post
    Recently I got Macbook Pro and I update to Mac OS X Lion. But I am having difficulty using my apple usb modem. I don’t know why it is not working. Anybody got any idea about this.
    There's an authorized Apple-support-doc stating that this obsession won't work with lion. I well thought-out the Zoom 3095 from Amazon and I'll give it a attempt. They say, it supports this for 64 bit-modes. In a couple of days, I'll report.

With the Zoom 3095 my iMac 2011 faxes absolutely under Lion. I even be able to make use of the Apple Modem’s cord linking the Zoom to my fritz box.

Nevertheless, Apple's haughtiness ignoring the requirements for a 64bit-driver for Apple's have possession of modem is pretty annoying!

The Apple USB Modem is no longer supported on newer Macs running Mac OS X Lion because the modem driver is a 32-bit kernel extension and Lion boots with a 64-bitkernel by default. MacBooks and older 32-bit CPUs (prior to the Core 2 Duo) still run a 32-bitkernel.]

This is a controller less or software modem based on the Motorola SM56 design. The advantages of a software modem are low cost, low power consumption, and compact design. The drawback is that modem processing is offloaded to a dedicated driver that runs on the host computer. In this case, Apple has tailored Motorola's driver to produce a generally solid product. At the time of this writing, Apple has discontinue the Apple USB Modem.

Software modems necessitate a driver that be able to pump real-time audio like data to the modem's transceiver in spite of of any other system software that may be running. In my own testing, I've establish it's significant to connect the modem to a dependable USB Hub as close to the host computer as possible. Apple's USB Modem driver normally work well but could fail under certain circumstances like launching Disk Utility with external FireWire drives attached. I tend to have a preference controller based modems for their superior steadiness, but many people already have an Apple USB Modem.

If Phone Amego has trouble opening a connection to your modem, quit Phone Amego, unplug and then replug the modem to reset the driver, and then relaunch Phone Amego.I've had one problem report where the Apple USB Modem failed to decode the caller ID signal as expected. Searching on-line indicates the trouble is rare and may be related to the quality of the phone line.