Thread: How to install Epson ICC printer profiles in Mac OS X Lion

How to install Epson ICC printer profiles in Mac OS X Lion

I upgraded to Lion and cannot install Epson ICC printer profiles. When I attempt to install, the installation is halted with the memo that I do not have sufficient access privileges for this installation. I have the current updates to the O/S and the Epson driver. particularly, these are printer paper profiles intended for an Epson Stylus Photo R2800 printer.

Re: How to install Epson ICC printer profiles in Mac OS X Lion

The ownership of the /Library/ColorSync directory and its contents changed in Lion. You actually do not have sufficient privileges as admin to write to that directory anymore. EPSON's installer does not have the ability to inquire you for your password to escalate the admin rights to root. You should testimony this to EPSON and be adamant that they update their installer.

There is a way to get the files installed, but it is pretty involved. I will give you the general idea but USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. There is a risk you could break your system and make it unusable.

• Go to /Library/ColorSync. Highlight the folder and do a Get Info on it.
    • Under the Sharing & Permissions portion, give "everyone" the ability to Read & Write. Then choose to have this applied to all enclosed items.
    • Run the EPSON installer(s). The profiles will now install.
      Code:
      For the EPSON folder the command is 'sudo chown -R root:wheel path_to_EPSON_folder'
      For each and every item in the EPSON folder, the command is 'sudo chmod 644 path_to_item'
    • Open Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

I talked to Epson support and they are aware of this problem and are working on it. He could not give me a time of completion though Guess we'll have to keep checking. However, I did follow your instructions up to number 4. I did not want to screw around with Terminal. That being said, I did do steps 1 thru 3 and the profiles still did not install with the same errors of not having privileges. Please, I am a photographer and it is imperative I have paper profiles. Thank you.

I am a little uncertain about the model number. At this point, I can't find any specific printer Epson R2800. The closest model I can find is there Epson R2880. Are these the same?

The US Epson site now seems to have new installers for the Epson Stylus Photo R2880 that will install the profiles. I only checked two of the packages, but both installed and the profiles were available under the Color Matching > ColorSync > Other Profile menu in the print window.

I have an Epson R1900 and the drivers install fine. What won't work for me are the paper profiles (.icc files). These are extremely important. There are a few paper profiles installed with the drivers, but these are standard profiles. Epson has Premium paper profiles and others that you download from there site. These are the ones that do not install, even after your steps 1 through 3. Like I said, I contacted them and they are aware of the problem. What I want to know is why your steps don't work? I am really afraid of screwing with Terminal. Are there any reversing commands for you steps in Terminal?

1. Go to /Library/ColorSync. emphasize the folder and do a Get Info on it.
    2. Under the Sharing & Permissions portion, provide "everybody" the capability to Read & Write.
    3. do again Steps 1 and 2 for the /Library/ColorSync/Profiles
    4. Run the Installer.
    5. Reverse the modus operandi on the /Library/ColorSync and /Library/ColorSync/Profiles folders. That is, alter the permissions so that "everybody" has Read only right of entry.

Don't worry about any of the permissions for the files installed. They seem to show up fine.Incidently, Epson seems to have all the ICC profiles repackaged except for the Glossy Paper profiles.

It appears that all the ICC profile packages for the Epson Stylus Photo 2880 have now been updated and should work. One possible exception would be the Exhibition Fiber Paper profile that is not provided by Epson.