Thread: No help from Seagate customer support about disabling spin down of HDD

No help from Seagate customer support about disabling spin down of HDD

I really don’t like the customer support of Seagate. But my question remains the same: How to disable this power saving mode causing hibernating after 15 min. As I see the only "official" solution is available for Win32 using seagate manager. Originally, I do make use of merely XP x64 as well as Linux OSes. I'm intended to make use of freeagent not meant for backup simply, except as well for always-on procedure, sharing files above network, and so on. That’s why I dislike this hibernation.

Re: No help from Seagate customer support about disabling spin down of HDD

I mean I can remember it too, that this is set in the HDD manufacturers tools. Say HDD plug in computer, download the right image (perhaps something right on top of ultimate boot CD?) And then adjust. Unfortunately, unfortunately, this contribution is seasoned with a decent Schusz "may," I hope he still directs the less the thoughts in the right direction.

I think that is very normal, my brother has a PC with 2 hard disks, and eventually turns one and if your files need from the appropriate hard drive jumps to, that I had a acer laptop with 2 hard disks , I think it's just to save power.

This feature has been extended to teaching sessions on the disk because the disk lifetime. Unfortunately it cannot be turned off and the only way would be to work around it, to have something that constantly accesses the hard disk. Since the Linux kernel like access to your drive all the time simply set a timer after a certain number of minutes of inactivity is mostly useless. First, some file systems (particularly those with journaling) does not simply write or modify files, but do log the "last access": this means that each time you access a file will be updated will update the last access time.

Someone has even run a little more difficult to investigate and it turned out that the spin-down is caused by the hard disk itself and not by the electronics of the external housing. It closes the disk directly via IDE, the same thing happens. This situation can probably create when disabled by the hdparm spindown. That should work again but not as long as the drive is connected via USB.

You’re right, it is not clear from their website. I'll do this; you have already tried to call? For normal law at the beginning of the call, before any amount will be charged, you should be explaining the conditions.

I have a Samsung EcoGreen F3 2TB (HD203WI) in an external housing (*****).
    Via USB at the C-200 Front USB (I have an internal Blu-ray and a Seagate 250 GB)

At the HTPC via SATA.

In both cases, making the disk a spin down (do not know, unfortunately, after which period of inactivity, there have only noticed as exempt when they access the high-noise was driving).

What about the internal 2.5 "is, I cannot say because I simply cannot hear it - delays that are not even notice.

I am therefore simply assumed that runs through - must measure the power consumption even if there was less when in standby....