Thread: Windows 7: Superfetch? Pagefile? Write-cache buffering?

Windows 7: Superfetch? Pagefile? Write-cache buffering?

I have a computer at home and I have installed windows 7 operating system on it. I actually have many questions in mind regarding superfetch, pagefile etc. I have a ram of 4 GB DDR3. My window 7 is using only about 1 gig of it. I was wondering that what will happen if I disable page file. Will it be beneficial for me in anyway? What will happen if I turn off write cache buffer flushing on the device? I have a 1TB 64mb cache WD Caviar Black. I am actually also thinking of disabling superfetching. Does anybody have any idea on that? I would like to hear from you all people. Any suggestions for better performance would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Windows 7: Superfetch? Pagefile? Write-cache buffering?

Well I think it is better for ssd’s to disable write cache and superfetch. But I think on windows 7, superfetch seems to work properly even if it is disabled in the registry. I would not suggest you to turn off the page file. Most importantly I would like to say that some programs require a page file to function properly. Not having a page file, I think provides no advantage. Pagefile makes system very stable. If you will disable Write-cache buffer flushing and superfetch then you will get the worst performance I am telling you. So I would say that dont try to do this.

Re: Windows 7: Superfetch? Pagefile? Write-cache buffering?

If you disable them on hdd then there are chances that you will lose your data if computer shuts down. SSD's are fast enough to save the data before the shut down.