Thread: How to access Printer Services to clean cartridges?

How to access Printer Services to clean cartridges?

Hi all, I am trying to print some photos but I am getting that the quality is terrible. I think that cartridges are not so old so that I can go and spend money on more I want to eliminate the obvious. I am trying to clean the printer heads by going into Properties-Printing Preferences-Features-Printer Services. But while doing this I just get the dialog box saying 'Unable to perform the operation'. For that reason I had uninstalled the driver but nothing happens. Also I have downloaded the basic driver from the HP website and installed it on my system but it is also not working. I would like to know that do I need to install the full version of the driver in order to carry out this type of the maintenance. Any help in this case please.

Re: How to access Printer Services to clean cartridges?

In this case I will suggest you to open Windows Explorer and browse to C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin or C:\Programs\HP\Digital Imaging\bin. At there you will find the file named as hpqtbx01.exe. and then right click on that file and select "Create shortcut" after right click the shortcut you've created and select Properties. In the box called Target add "HP Officejet Pro K5400 series" after the existing path so it looks like this: "C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtbx01.exe" "HP Officejet Pro K5400 series". It could be for you the name of the printer should be different, since it must match what is called the printer and printer devices, but if not rename the printer after installing that should only be able to copy above. When you are using this shortcut for opening the toolbox should be able to see the ink levels, etc. Place the shortcut on the desktop and rename it to something that makes sense, as Officejet Pro K5400 toolbox or something

Hey dear thanks for your help. According to your solution, I downloaded the toolbox, but still I am not getting that how to check the ink level. because new toolbox folder have the long list of cryptic files. And again thanks for your help.

For starting the installation of the new toolbox, just click on the downloaded file and the installation should start. After the installation you will be able to access the toolbox via the Printing Preferences of the K5400. After that go to Devices and Printers, and click the K5400 and click Printing Preferences, click the tab labeled features and at the bottom of that screen you should have a button called services or services the printer.

According to your suggestion I had tried with this, but when I click on printer services, I get an screen over there that is: "unable to perform the operation." What can I do now? And also thanks for your suggestion.

Hey with your reply, I am getting confused. I want to know that will this work for the K550 Toolbox using Windows 7 64-bit? I had installed this in the old windows XP but now I am getting error while installing it on the windows 7 64-bit. I tried to download as you suggested but I am not getting it to work properly. I am really miss having the toolbox. I request you to explain me in this case.

Ok, I think that it will work at all it would be to install the toolbox for the K5400, for this thing you need to create shortcut to it and instead of entering "HP Officejet Pro K5400 series" to the target you'd enter "HP Officejet Pro K550 series". After this if you are not getting it to work then for this you can use the buttons of the front panel which is there on the printer to initiate the same tasks as you can from the toolbox. According to me it should be the same name as the printer has in Devices and Printers.

For solving this issue you can also follow the following steps:
    • To print a configuration page: Press and hold the power button, press the Cancel button one time, the power button.
    • To print a test page: Press and hold the power button, press the Cancel button one hour, press the Resume button four times, release the button.
    • To align the print heads: Press and hold the power button, press the Resume button three times, release the button. To clean the print heads: Press and hold the power button, press the Resume button six times, release the button. Hope this helps a little less.

I followed your steps and it works for me. Thanks a lot for your suggestion. According to your suggestion after installing it to my old window XP now I tried it in the windows 7 and now it start working. Before this driver I had tried another but that was not working and now according to your suggestion I downloaded the latest driver for it and installed it on the windows 7 64-bit and now it is working fine. Now I am not missing to not have the toolbox.