Thread: Formatting western digital My Passport Essential hard drive.

Formatting western digital My Passport Essential hard drive.

Hello Friends I have some problem here and I am looking for some help. The problem is related with Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1TB USB 3.0. After having this connected to my system, I found there are 4 folders already existing on the drive User Manuals, WD Smart Ware, & WD Smart Ware for Mac With two setup files. As I was requested by someone to give him some of the movies but the problem is that the system is infected. Hence I scared if contents on my drive may get infected. So I am prompted to format my drive. So, if I copy the pre-existing stuffs on the drive, burn them to a disc & after that copy them reverse to the drive, will it cause any problems? I am contemplating it as the best resolution in the event of my drive in receipt of infection.

Re: Formatting western digital My Passport Essential hard drive.

No I don’t think that It shall be creating any problem feel free to backup those Hard Drive contents on a blank CD/DVD.

The contents u get in a new Hard Disc Drive External can be backed up in CD/DVD.& after having formatted can be copied to back it over again. in addition for viruses u can create the folders/files as read-only But I can guarantee you that will be fully safe. The Best possible solution is to archive the folders in rar format & burning them to CD/DVD.

Well one thing I just have found is that I may not backup the data on my portable drive to recordable media. Western Digital provides it as a package accessible for download, it is titled - WD Smart Ware Disk Image for Windows and easily available on their website for free download. I have a common inquiry though; may I kindly ask you guys that where to get a good pouch/carry case for this portable drive? Western Digital has their "brand marked" carry cases for purchase on their website listed below accessories but I do not know where to obtain them at this time in India. Please tell me. I have been getting scratches recently on my hard drive.

Similar is my problem guys I too have got some scratches on my hard drive. Please advise a good case for the same and if available from where I can get this. I thank you guys in advance. Also one more doubt I am having that is will the preloaded contents on the hard disc drive get erased after formatting or they still will be existing following formatting??

Well I think that you should check them on the website googling about these product will be suitable option so just do a surfing on the net and you will be getting what you are desiring. There are several companies which are providing the solution as your query is like ebay, iBall etc. so you can also make a check on their website. Yu can also gadgets.in for the delivery of external hard drive case in India. But I think there are numerous others and you should try it surfing on the net. But I think that u should have purchased them along with HDD from prime. Belkin is a good brand for HDD pouch

Thanks for showing me the way I have found some places as you told me.

I just have had run the Windows Error-Check by right clicking on the external hard disk icon => Properties= > Tools => Error-Checking & and then I have selected both the sub options but Windows was not capable to complete the check disk. I have downloaded, installed and ran the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tests & both the tests Quick & Extended tests have failed. The Extended Test was saying that there are too many bad sectors on my hard drive. Hence, it seems there is no other alternative but to give the drive for RMA.I do not have knowledge with WD's RMA repair. Can you tell me that whether it is a prompt service?

No by any means I dont think t is like this!