Thread: WD 1002FAEX-00Z3A0 very slow on loading file

WD 1002FAEX-00Z3A0 very slow on loading file

I tested this WD 1002FAEX-00Z3A0 hard drive. This is an 1TB hard drive which is connected as secondary driver on a desktop system. Along with this there is an another hard drive attached which only runs the operating system. Now I just moved some data from lan to the new 1TB hard drive. It open up very slowly after entire data transfer. I used HDTune Pro to tune up the driver speed. But the data transfer and reading rate is reducing. I need some help to speed this up and also to find what is the reason behind this. Does a large amount of data on a single drives can be the cause of slow performance or there is any other reason. If this issue is related to the hard disk then I can probably get a replacement for the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: WD 1002FAEX-00Z3A0 very slow on loading file

This looks like that this drive is having some issue. For this I will recommend you to completely wipe out all the data and leave a single partition behind. Then move the data and check back.

I think a firmware update can fix this. Go in your bios and also check that all settings related to hard drive is enabled. The bios has some boost up service for the hard drive. Once of them the smart support. But when the hard drive has this, it is enabled by default. Also check that you had chosen a proper mode for your drive. You can also try to change the cable of your drive and check back.

If you are using Windows XP then there is an small settings by which you can definitely increase the speed of the hard disk. I had used this trick and this really worked out. To speed up the driver you will need to modify the system.ini in Windows XP. Open this file and then search for emm386enh. Look on the below settings. Set the value same as what is mentioned below and then check back. A restart to ensure that all settings take place properly is needed. Without restart nothing will workout here. Also refer to the drive manual for more in detail information on it.
    • MinSPs = 3
    • LocalLoadHigh = 1
    • PerVMFiles = 60
    • Maxfilecache = 8192
    • MinFileCache = 8192

I will advice you to use some tools here for your drive. This tools will give you updates on your drive status. Like for example download and install Active SMART 2.42. This software lets you to monitor your hard drive and predict possible failures in their work, which uses SMART technology when problems are detected. In addition, the program provides a variety of information about hard disks, such as the manufacturer of the drive mode UDMA, capacity, file system, and much more.

There are more tool that you can try. See the below list :

Drive Speed hecker : This allows you to test the speed of searching, reading and writing disks. The program includes three test modes: a detailed study of disk performance, a comparison of several disks for read / write speeds and compare multiple disks for speed up.

FD Tach 0.9 : FD Tach tests the performance of flash storage. The program is based on the same engine as the HD Tach, and therefore has a similar interface and similar functions. Some of the tests are: Test the speed of reading, writing, access, etc. Results can be saved and compared with other devices.

CHDDSPEED : This is an free tool. It works on a simple command line tool for assessing the performance of various block devices (HDD, CD, Flash, etc.). To increase the accuracy of each test is repeated a number of times (several thousand), while the number of repeats is chosen automatically depending on the speed of the DUT.

Disk Bench
    : This tool is pretty simple to use and test speed of the hard drive The program simply copies the specified file into a folder and measures the speed and time of this operation. The program needs .net framework to work.

MHDD 4.6 : This one is the more recommended software you must use. A very small light weight applications that provides you accurate diagnosis and minor repair of

drives. It allows you to work with hard drives at a low level, directly over the port IDE controller. It is an fast and accurate diagnosis of the entire surface of the drive. It does nt

matter what data you have. The software capabale to delete bad sectors only generated due to some software errors.