Thread: Can anyone suggest RDRAM compatible power supply unit

Can anyone suggest RDRAM compatible power supply unit

I have the old system which was built around 6 to 7 years back. It’s really old machine which is using rdram on it. The old power supply unit of the system is failed few days back and not working properly. I found some unknown connector in the motherboard which is around six pin connector. I don’t know what it is. Now I want to buy the new power supply unit which has this connector to get attached. Can anyone suggest which connector will be compatible with this motherboard?

Re: Can anyone suggest RDRAM compatible power supply unit

You are telling that it has some unknown connector in it which is around the six pins. I think you don’t know about it. But as I know it’s actually auxiliary power connector and it is not necessary to be connected to the system. As the motherboard is too old I think it has 20 pin power connector attached to it. So I will suggest you to get any AT power supply will help you. But it’s so old so there are really less chances that you will get new one but you can get the second hand one.

I don’t know actually which power supply AT or ATX which is required. But one of my friend has the old pc which he kept aside and very rarely he is using it. We both have checked its internal hardware components. The power supply it is using is actually the normal ATX one. Which is currently used in the system. So any power supply from the market will be compatible with this board. But the connector you said which is six pin which I have seen in the old AT power supply unit.

I have one system which is old one which I am using and replaced the old power supply unit with the new one but the only think it don’t have is that the 6 pin connector . So I have done this you can get the extension for this type of connector on the store which you can use to get the connector since new power supply unit doesn’t provide this. It is also available over the internet for sale which is known as 20-Pin ATX Power to 6-Pin AUX Power Adapter. Try to search this you will get it.

Yes I have also has the same problem with my old computer. We can’t get the old power supply unit from hardware store since power supply used for that machines are really old now and not available. So only option for us is to purchase the new ATX power supply unit. And yes as he said we can get the power adapter which will have the aux connector in it. I have purchased the aux adapter which is available for cost of Rs 300 to 400. When I connected this adapter the system is working perfectly.

I think there must be any solution for it to get rid of the aux connector. I have tried this you can also give a try. You can remove the old six pin aux connector form the power supply itself. Then in the new power supply connect it to the +5 v and +3.3 v respectively but for doing this we need taps which will convert tow pin to single one. Those taps are available in the market for around Rs. 80 to 120 only. But you must do it carefully. It can cause damage to the system do it at your own risk.

Thanks for providing the solution. I have purchased the new ATX power supply unit from the store which causes me around Rs. 600 and as you said I searched for the adapter in the store but can’t get. So searched over internet and ordered the adapter from the store. The system cant startup without the aux connector to be connected when I used the adapter the system starts perfectly. Right now there is no issue while running the system.