Thread: Is it possible to handle whole system by 280w PSU

Is it possible to handle whole system by 280w PSU

I have been using a Dell desktop computer which came along with 280W psu and 80GB HDD. Yesterday I have got a new 1 TB HDD. Now I would like to add this HDD to my computer and use it as media player by connecting to HDTV. Furthermore I am planning to add a good graphics card for this. So before that I want to know whether this PSU can able to handle this configuration or not?

Re: Is it possible to handle whole system by 280w PSU

Surely at some point in your existence as a computer technician someone has made the million dollar question. We know how well that 700W for a home computer is enough but for a few years now appears that urban legend has taken over the population and it is as if suddenly a 60W processor does not consume if they consume 280W and hard drives will grow from about 5-10W to 30W and lasi however, the truth always and I've shown me a little skeptical of all this, I always like to have more sources of real 400W for the sake of the stability of the load voltages have once, but has never been a real need for the use of my components and today I was able to confirm this and I'm sure many of you will 's suspicions.

Ok, but that is an absolutely unusual case. For one hair's breadth, the power supply will be at the border (overload fuse does not), on the other hand it must be a hard drive that responds first to the voltage drop. Then you can get a little game hard drive switches off - voltage stabilizes - hard drive starts again - hard drive (possibly another) goes out - seem to stabilize voltage, etc.. But the CPU, chipset, or the RAM goes Graka - casually told - from the juice, then you have a crash.

Very important for the dimensioning of the power supply is the real power demand of the PC. Even a high-end PC takes usually no more than 200W at full load, distributed on the +12 V and +5 V, which then correspondingly high currents must be kept stable, without the voltage collapses.

You must at a calculated maximum demand of a system of top-400W take quite possible that even at its request no more than 200W from the power supply must be provided. With a good 400W power supply in the range> = 85% efficiency so you have more than enough room to grow. The most important thing for a power supply has a selection of high quality components from the manufacturer so that the theoretically possible performance can also be neither created nor stable. It will not help if fall below 20A on the +12 V at the 10% voltage tolerance down and freezes the PC or restart. Therein lays the real secret of a good power supply. Power ratings are only funny but a rip.

There is no data channel between the components and the power supply, which requests a component of a certain power and then gets it or not. The components of "trying" simply to draw the appropriate power and if this is too much, it breaks the tension onto the appropriate track. This leads either to trigger the overload protection of the power supply or to the fact that the components are no longer supplied with sufficient power and no longer work correctly. In the former case, the power supply, in the latter from the computer crashes sooner or later.

So theoretically ranges from a 280W power supply, but the NT in games than ever to move close to 100% is certainly not great. A power supply is at about 70-80% utilization has the highest efficiency, if I'm not mistaken. For maximum performance, the efficiency goes back a bit. In addition, the individual may then volt rails with a "280" W power supply is not overloaded. Most important is the efficiency, I saw it myself mind you; I have various consumption measurements carried out and operated.