Thread: You will not be able to replace hard drives on New iMacs

You will not be able to replace hard drives on New iMacs

Recently I got to know, A new temperature sensor system is implemented by Apple on its latest iMac models. And after this, in case of failure of hard drives, users will not be able to replace their original hard drives even if they desire to upgrade it. This all is because, Apple has changed the SATA power connector from 4 pin to a 7- pin power configuration and the temperature of Hard drive is regulated by this cable and a firmware of Apple. As this firmware reside on hard drive itself, if we remove it causes fan to spin at maximum speed and replacing it with any non-Apple original drive will result in failing the Apple Hardware Test.

Re: You will not be able to replace hard drives on New iMacs

So it means if we ever want to replace it, we have to buy a new hard drive only from Apple and it must be installed via their Authorized Service centers. And it obviously, means limiting the options for users and increasing the cost. It will make Apple more profit of course, but it will be the users of the Apple who will not feel good with this system as they have to visit Apple store for replacement of Hard drive and, as everyone knows, it is costlier option.

: That’s not good news from Apple. And I feel it’s just an unnecessary hurdle created by Apple. Many people will never Buy iMac again. Because it’s not the first time that Apple is creating a hurdle. They should realize that these things make negative impact on their brand. You should make users to comfortable to do as they want. I am wondering that how many times someone has to find a workaround. I will have to pay Apple tax even for Hard disk.

It sounds ridiculous. Thermal problem is just a pretext, they actually want create a very closed system by doing all these things. There can be many way. But they want that their users should use service only via them. That’s why many people are switching to windows 7. Because Apple makes it very tough for people to be their power user. It has great OS for sure, but, seriously, these things force me to start hating Apple.

Yes, it’s just an unnecessary hurdle. Instead of buying cheapest hard drive we have to buy costlier one from Apple. I am asking them to give any one reason about how it can be good for users. I am capable of replacing my hard drive by myself and I care for my accessories more than them. Then why should I get my hard drives replaced by their people. They are forcing people to buy their hard drives.