Thread: I/O device error occurs in windows XP

I/O device error occurs in windows XP

I am currently facing a problem with my computer. The problem is occurring while copying. When I copy one file or folder to other drive I will get error message which is like this - "Target: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.” This problem is happening while the when I try to copy file using windows default copy. I am having windows 7 64 bit operating system installed in the machine. And it is happening only with the some folders and not that all of them. I have also tried windows XP but I always get the same error. I tried to Google for the problem but not able to found any solution for it. Can anyone suggest the solution?

Re: I/O device error occurs in windows XP

I am also facing such a problem few days back on windows XP. Same I/O error causing to fail my copy from one drive to other drive. But it happens with my video files only and not the other files. It happens only with the .avi and .mpeg files. So what I have see that some of video files are cannot be renamed or moved to other location. So does it happen to only video files or also with the other files also? And other thing you can do is use Teracopy software it can copy file still it has any error. Its third party software and not provided by Microsoft. If this works it will be great.

Thanks for your replay. But it is not happening with the video files only but also with the many of the formats like .txt, .jpg, .exe. Every time I tried to copy those formats it will give the error message only.
    But one think is working which I want to mention that if I copy the file form the one location and if I pasted it o other location but one level up then it’s working for me. For example if I am copying a folder D: \ test\test1 to E:\test1 then its working. After that I will able to move the file to the correct location.

If you have facing the problem with. mkv files in your system . since I have also faced such a problem but I resolved using the below mentioned steps . you can do following steps to resolve problem of yours
    -Download CCCP package. After downloaded install it to your pc.
    -Now restart your pc.
    - Now if you try to run mkv file it can’t give you error message.
    But this solution is for playing successfully this file over the pc. But I don’t know if it is possible to solve your problem of the copy paste issue.

As I know the I/O errors can be occurs due to the Hard Disk failures. Since when I got such a problem my HDD was too old. it has some bad sectors in it. So when there are bad sectors created over hard disk I/O errors popups while copying since data cant able to copy over that location since the drive is on bad sector. So try to replace your HDD. Other thinks I will suggest you run. To check bad sector is run the chkdsk command in cmd. It will check for the bad sectors. And provides you with the result. So if you have bad sector then try to buy new hdd.

I also facing same problem like this few days back while copying file form one location that is drive to other drive. So I have used chkdsk utility to find the error but there is no error. So I tried other solution I have formatted all the drives. Reinstalled windows again on fresh HDD. Now if I tried to copy the files it will work no I/O error is coming for me. So you can try to format your drive. And then try to copy the files it will solve your problem.

I am facing such a problem while copying the file from the disk drive. I am getting such an I/O error. You must know why it is happening. It happens if your disk has some scratches on it or if the disk drive has some problem of reading then also this happens. And in the HDD this can happens if the data cable is not correctly attached to HDD and Motherboard so try to check the data cable correctly attached. And power cable is correctly attached to your HDD.