Thread: Speed of hard disk drive can be reduced using software’s

Speed of hard disk drive can be reduced using software’s

I have an Asus Eee PC at my home. I keep it on for long hours. I want to know that is there any software to reduce the speed of the hard disk drive. I have heard that reducing would increase the life of the hard drive. It doesn’t matter for me even if the loading time increases. I just want my hard drive to have a longer life. Kindly suggest me some software to do so. Thank you. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Speed of hard disk drive can be reduced using software’s

As far as I know there’s no such software available. Except one thing you can try is I think most operating systems like windows and Linux have an option like power management settings. From there you can change the rpm of the hard drive. RPM values range from about 5,400RPM to 12,000RPM. But this will not affect any way. It will not increase or decrease the speed of the hard drive. I think this will only reduce the power consumption and reduce the heat that generates. If you know about any software regarding this then please let me know.

Well I have tried using power management but it did not help me anyway. Do you want a good life for hard drive only or also for the battery. You can tweak the option such as dimmer the display earlier and shut the hard drive after a short time of idle time. Well there is one small application that you can find on Google call HDDGURU, there you will find a setting of adjusting called AAM. AAM is auto acoustic management. There you can probably reduce the speed of the hard disk drive. You can also try some other tools like HDD Acoustic Manager by Abacus, the AAM Tool, and the Hard Disk Sentinel.

There are many applications on the internet which you can download and use to reduce the parameters like the speed of the hard disk drive. But I am not sure whether they work. To test the speed of your HDD, you can download software called disk bench. It is a tool that tests your hard drive speed in real life. It is free ware software that can be downloaded easily from the internet. Well you can also try Hitachi’s deskstar software which is powerful, as you can modify cache settings, transfer modes, power consumption, and interface settings. You can download it from the Hitachi’s website.