Thread: How to disable the button that opens my DVD Drive?

How to disable the button that opens my DVD Drive?

Hi, I have T510 thinkpad and since I have got it I have started getting problems regarding the DVD drive as the button on my DVD drive is so responsive that it's hard to touch it and its just open the drive unnecessarily without touching. And for getting the solution to this I have search the internet as well, but still didn’t find any solution for this, so I want to ask you that is there any way through which we can disable the manual button for the drive? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: How to disable the button that opens my DVD Drive?

It is quite annoying really, I was also having the same problem but the situation is different from yourself. I have a kids in my family and they always touch the things they came across and as they seen this for first time, opening a drive became a toy for them, and I am quite worried about that as one day they will surely damage one of the hardware for sure. And I am also looking for disabling the same thing, but didn’t get any such solution.

According to me you cannot do anything in the situation you are. Because there isn’t any function as well for disabling the sensitivity or completely disable to the button as well. but I would say you should visit the service center for this as they may help you with this, because this kind of problem never occurs with anyone, in fact I also never came across this kind of situation but completely opposite to this.

I am strongly opposed to the above user as you can have option for making them work the way you want, you cannot control the sensitivity for sure, but you can have option to lock the drive and open then whenever you want it to be open. This is a tool with a name CD/DVD Drive Locker, that you have to download from the internet and install it in the machine, so by means of this you can handle the working of the drive, and can lock it as well.

You can have another option as well, but for that you need to disassemble the machine you have, because rather you can make use of the software mentioned by the above user or just simply remove the drive from the thinkpad, and you can connect it whenever you want and then only use it. so this will off course help you to disable to the drive’s functioning. and by the way according to me you should remove the drive and can make use of the device for data transfer such as USB flash drive.

Thanks for the suggestion guys, as I have downloaded the software that you have mentioned and its works pretty cool but sometimes it also annoys as we always have to make changes in the software again and again for opening the drive, and it seems that there isn’t any software through which we can switch the functioning easily, but still it is also very good, so for that I am very thankful to you.

You can have option to use the External CD drive as well. As mentioned by the above user if you are not satisfied with the software that you are using, you should remove the drive out of your thinkpad and then instead of that make use of external drive. And that would be good option no need to have any such software or any problem as well, just connect it whenever you want it to use.