Thread: Boot option missing from ExpressCard SSD

Boot option missing from ExpressCard SSD

I am, using the Lenovo ThinkPad Z61p and have recently bought the ExpressCard SSD. I need to use that with the Linux install. I thought that the PCI Express from the ExpressCard must be having the boot option but it was not having that option. This was very disappointing to me. I want Lenovo to resolve this as soon as possible because I have seen some of the other similar topics with the same problem. Do you have anything to share on this?

re: Boot option missing from ExpressCard SSD

I really do not know that we are able to boot up as of Express card SSD's. If that is the case then I think that Lenovo should give some BIOS update soon to solve this. I think that there should be some manual way by which we will be able to do the update of the BIOS. If somebody of you know that how can this be done then please let us know that. Thank you for your reply in advance.

I would like to tell you that Thinkpad have never offered any choice for Expresscard otherwise the PCMCIA unless they are started openly that these machines are having the holdup for these features. Lenovo are in no way compelled to carry out that. So just leave the hope of this that this is going to be available soon. I hope you understood that why are you are not getting that option.

I don’t think that Lenovo and IBM are going to release BIOS update which will be able to unlock some of the features in the older supersided laptops. Anyway, if you want to confirm that then you can contact to the Lenovo support and ask them for the same. You will get the detailed information from them and also you will come to know that if there are any chances to release any such BIOS update.

As the expresscard which is installed in your thinkpad is the USB based and not the PCI-based and that is the reason that there is no method to make it bootable currently by doing some modification in the BIOS. If you want to make it bootable then you will have to do some hardware modification that will change the PCI-based expresscard slot. I think that this is the only possible way to do that.

Re: Boot option missing from ExpressCard SSD

Lenovo's implementation meets industry standard and your destination is unpredictable and your mindfulness to confirm the workarounds or accumulate one yourself. Only for the reason that the SSD is huge enough and combines a conductor to an open space doesn't commit any producer to produce any BIOS upgrade to suit your object. If you don't mind differ consultation and impart regarding all incorporating the final form of Amiga or BeOS that bootstraps off the express port.