Thread: Power supply switch wedged at off position

Power supply switch wedged at off position

I noticed that the switch for my PC’s power supply is wedged at off position. If I try to press that to turn it on then it is not clickable and again goes back to off. I cannot understand that why this is happening to me. So I am starting this thread over here so that if someone of you is having any idea to solve this problem then please let me know that. I will appreciate each reply on this. Please reply fast.

Re: Power supply switch wedged at off position

The best way for you is to simply replace the switch with a new one and that will work for you. If it is the problem with the AC on/off switch then this will be the straight-forward solution for this. It just require a easy repair to change the switch. I don’t think that there is some other solution for this and it was not needed to ask anywhere. So just change it and it will work again.

I have doubt that changing the switch will solve this. It will be better for you to change the PSU completely and that will be helpful. Changing the switch might solve the problem but there will be always a change that it will happen again. So Changing the PSU will give you the full confidence that you are out of the problem. Choice is yours and you can do whatever you like and fits in your budget.

I want to advice you that you must be very cautious while digging around within an exposed PSU. I am saying this because even if the PSU is disconnected then also it is having the charge for a lot time in that and you may do the short circuit by this by mistake and this will hurt you. So if you want to avoid those risks then you can spend another $50-100 and buy a new PSU. This will keep you on safe side.

Once, when I made a little repair work on my PSU, I was careless and distracted, setting hand on the PSU PCB, and I got a nasty little shock that was. About a particularly nasty static discharge. On another occasion, I took a Vantec PSU (which are only bare boards and components) and after that this never happens to me. So you can also get the same and I am sure that you are also not going to get any issue with this.

I could not help noticing that you are working with PCBs, as such, I do a lot of. The skin lesion usually get is torn or punctured component leads protruding from the bottom. My work is as well in bio-hazard surroundings. Therefore, I need not only ESD but laboratory gloves. While they should save their skins, which tend to engage in non-component side of the board and create another problem. Sometimes it seems that for the sake of security and legal protection, they break more than fix it.