Thread: How to add second hard drive to Dell Dimension 4600

How to add second hard drive to Dell Dimension 4600

I have a Dell Dimension 4600. It’s hard drive has not working. Just found a second that is a SATA drive. I was not told by Dell that the wires would not well with my existing computer, therefore, now I am surprising what wires I should utilize. So I am using the second hard drive but I didn’t know how to add. When I connect then it didn’t connect. I didn’t get the problem that why is it happening? If anyone familiar with this problem then tell me. It is very important for me to know.

Re: How to add second hard drive to Dell Dimension 4600

That was my unique sketch. Get a like drive to unique, but the Dell rep said the SATA was the approach to go. That’s why here I am. I have the wires now. Attempted to find the computer to be familiar with it. Can you provide me some hints about making the SATA the primary drive? How do I identify if the computer looks the SATA drive? On one occasion it is there and it is primary, I should be good to go receiving the operating system onto it. But I want to tell you that it is very important to take help from the net.

You want a SATA data wire like this and a Molex 4-pin to SATA power adaptor like this .The SATA data wire is associated to the motherboard's SATA J8G1 connector, observe here Installing a SATA hard drive in a Dimension 4600, is not 'plug and play'. If this is an additional drive to an integrated development environment (IDE) main hard drive, you want to build the SATA the primary, and again install windows XP and install the drivers, as well as the SATA driver. You would get it easier to load another IDE hard drive as the secondary. This is opinion on this problem.

Thanks for the reply. However, you want to leisurely down with me! You are not talking to a computer geek here just somebody who wants to upgrade personal computer, but not actually very knowledgeable on these things! Initially, I cannot get drivers for the SATA power wire adapter I installed. I purchased it in Maplin. It is Oyatech Model # A12AZ. All other parts (hard drive and data wire) were purchased in Dell. Also, I cannot do anything with the disk i.e. format etc, until pc can observe it, can I

I would like to suggest you that after you have loaded the SATA hard drive as the primary C: / boot drive and have installed XP, loaded the drivers and it is working to your approval, install the integrated development environment (IDE) drive as the secondary, I think that you put the jumpers to 'Master', as it is a secondary to a SATA primary and ensure the system setup to observe if it is enabled and familiar. I have seen the pdf on the Google in this pdf everything is given as step by step. So you can download this pdf. And read how to add the second hard drive.

After installing the SATA hard disk as the primary C: / boot disk and installed XP, load the drivers and is working to your satisfaction, install the IDE drive as secondary, I think down the bridges 'Master' as a secondary to a primary SATA and check the system settings to see if it is enabled and recognized. Actually this related your problem. So you will check the primary SATA drive. Then after add with your laptop. But you should know about the connectivity.