Thread: Blu-ray drive of PS3 is dead

Blu-ray drive of PS3 is dead

I am having the Sony Ps3. I found that the PS3’s blu-ray was dead. I called up the Sony and they said that they will not give the warranty. So I thought of opening it, so that I could diagnose the problem. I saw that the drive’s motor is not working at all. Even if the disk is inserted and is not reading the disk, then too t will start up for a while and the laser gets lightened up and then it goes off. The motor is turning by hands properly, so it doesn’t seems to be seized up in any way. Does anyone have any idea of which part of the drive is bad? I need to repair it as soon as possible.

Re: Blu-ray drive of PS3 is dead

I was also facing with the same problem in my blu-ray player. So I contacted the Sony to solve the problem, and they said that they will be charging $150 for just to view the problem. They also said that they will not give any guarantee after it is fixed, and they don’t even guarantee that they will fix the problem. So it seems that first I have to pay $500 for getting the device and after that I will require some more $150 for it to get it repaired.

Here are the following steps that you can follow to get the thing repaired or replaced with other blu-ray device:
    • Remove the power supply of the PS3 and open the cover.
    • After that unclip the data cable of the blu-ray drive from your PS3.
    • Remove the top and bottom screws and also remove the three screws on the left.
    • After removing the screws, remove the top layer of the drive.
    • Once you remove the top layer you will be inside the drive.
    • Now you can see the laser of the Blu-ray, so now remove the screws of the lens.
    • After you remove all the screws, you can easily remove the lens of it.
    • Similarly, repeat the same steps to remove the laser of the other drive.
    • If you don’t have any other drive, then replace it with the new lens instead of buying the entire drive.

It seems that you need to check the cables and power supply that are going into the PS drive. Because I was also facing the same problem with my PS and I searched a lot to figure out the issue. So I opened the entire PS blu-ray drive, but I was not able to find out the issue. So I took it to the local shop to get it repaired and he told me that I don’t have any problem in my drive it is working fine and the problem was only in the cable. It seems that the cable was little bit damaged, so I replaced it and it worked fine.

I don’t think that there is much to worry about as for Sony it happens only in rare cases. I have never heard about the much of failures in the Sony. And also they have a very good repairing department. Since, I had once given my PS for the repairing and it was very good that they returned in just a week. It seems they are good in their service. So, if you don’t have find any proper solution from the Sony, then get it repaired from the local shop which will not even cost much.

It is the common problem that are been faced by most of the PS owners. It seems that they have their lens died. So better you can solve this problem by yourself if you don’t find any solution from the Sony. Just open up the PS upper case and remove the screws and check whether the motor is spinning or not. Also check all the cables are connected to it correctly. Also if you find your lens not working properly, then try to clean it with a proper cleaner.