Thread: "How to Overvolt Fan"

"How to Overvolt Fan"

I am having Intel p4 Prescott 3.0 CPU and Intel D865GBFmother board, with power supply of 500W and Windows XP Operating System. I want to slightly over volt my fan. Can anybody help me to so that I can over volt my fan but not to the 24v. I have seen some one doing that, can any one guide how to do it? or it seems that I would need to buy a new fan for more airflow. please help me out.

Re: "How to Overvolt Fan"

Anyhow it is not possible to make fan to run at the 24v, you can but there will be a lot of complications. Yes you can over volt a fan but only up to few extend, that is slightly from 12v to 13v or up to 14v also. You will find it working little bit faster but, if you try to get the volt over than that, I think it might burn up. So never try to over volt your fan for a more range. As it may work but it will reduce the lifetime of the fan.

If your fan at 12v is running at 2000 RPM, and if you 12v of maximum connected to it, then I think you can only get up to that maximum. It is not possible to get more than that. It is the basics of physics and electronics. You cannot exceed more than that by whatever you do. If you really wish to do so, then you must connect it to the header of more than 12v, then it is possible for you to over volt your fan.

If you over volt your fan, it might cause many of the issues, some of them are: if you increase the current then it will damage your fan. More heat is produced if you increase the current. If it runs on more speed then it will pass out the bearings faster. Also increase in the speed will cause harm to your fan as it will have to run at the great speed. So make sure that whatever fan you are using, has the capability that it will work on little higher volt.

Instead of getting some more volt for your fan, just see that if you can get a bigger or more fan for your CPU. The bigger fan can make airflow more than the smaller fan. This will probably help you to decrease your temperature of your system down. If switch on to the smaller fan and try to increase the volt it will be helpful for shorter period of time. So if you can get the bigger fan will be helpful for your future use also and will not require increasing the volt.

Normally all the 12n fans in the systems will be running in-between 7.5 and 13 v. if you try to get more than that then it is up to you. There is a difference in the potentials, if one is of +12v and other is of -3v, then the difference will be look like this (+12 - -3) = (+12 + 3) = 15v. If you wish to increase you fans volt I don’t think that it will be of much use, as increasing the volt will not help you to increase the speed of the fan much. And also you will have a higher consumption of power.