Thread: How do i transfer data from Laptop Hard Drive to My Desktop with an Adapter ?

How do i transfer data from Laptop Hard Drive to My Desktop with an Adapter ?

Hi, I have bought a new inexpensive adapter that adapt 2.5 drives to the standard 3.5 ribbon cables. I am planning to transfer all the stuffs from my laptop to my desktop before I wiped all the data, but I haven’t used the adapter ever, thus I don’t know how to use it, can anyone help me with the following? I have a asus motherboard in my desktop, and I am running windows Xp service pack 3 on it, need suggestion.

Re: How do i transfer data from Laptop Hard Drive to My Desktop with an Adapter ?

Hi, this is cool as you are thinking of transferring the data through the data adapter, but before that I would like to suggest you some setting related to jumpers, I hope you haven’t change it ye, thus remain it that way only. Otherwise even after seeing the drive you won’t be able to boot the PC, and who knows what other problem occurs. And change the HDD priority, I mean to say boot by the HDD to which you want to copy the data.

Re: How do i transfer data from Laptop Hard Drive to My Desktop with an Adapter ?

I would say don’t use any such cheap cables and adapters while transferring the data, as it may cause the distortion in the transmission. Rather I would like to suggest you that you should buy a new cable and a good compatible adapter, and then try to do the same, or else the remaining process is too simple, you can easily transfer the data. Otherwise you can have another option to such as a external hard disk chase, through which you can connect the hard drive through the USB itself, no need to open the whole cabinet.

See, operating system doesn’t matter at all, because you just want to transfer the data over one hard drive to another hard drive, but remember one thing that always boot the PC from the hard drive to which you have to copy the data. Some little bit changes in the jumper you have to make, that is to make the hard drive master and another to slave, and from the bios, change the priority of the HDD through which you want to boot, and if the problem persist mentioned here, I’ll see.

I would suggest you to use the Sangoma Data Transfer Cable, because I have used this, and the main thing about this is, first of all it is of 4 ft, thus you can maintain the minimum distance, along with that, the data transfer speed that we get through this cable is also nice, I haven’t calculate the exact amount but, yeah I am sure that you will not going to regret, I would suggest you that, don’t use the cheap adapter as it will lead to lose the data, rather I would suggest you to use the Bluetooth adapter, the speed would be less but, you’ll get a reliable data transfer.

Yeah in fact I was also thinking of the same, because I was also little bit unsure about the adapter that I had, but still I thought I will make it, but after your recommendation I am planning to have a good adapter and a pretty good cable also, but still I want to know that from where would I get such a nice cable with the proper adapter which will be compatible with both my desktop and my laptop? And By the way thanks for the immediate reply.

You can buy this from any leading computer peripheral store, and remember there are too many adapters you’ll get in the many adapter they have difference in the data transfer speed, the power it absorbs and many concern able things. Or simply you can order it online also, there are different sites, they would offer different products, where you can check the online compatibility test also.