Thread: My DVD Drive reads only certain brand disc, not all

My DVD Drive reads only certain brand disc, not all

My problem is with the DVD-RW, is that when I put some other brand DVD’s in it I am having the problem that it does not read the DVD. The problem came when I put the DVD in to the dvd-rw and it shows undetected, at first I thought that the DVD drive optical might be broken but it is not the case when I put some other brand DVD then it reads it properly, so is it that it only reads some brands DVD or is it some other problem, if anyone can please help me out in this.

Re: My DVD Drive reads only certain brand disc, not all

Ok I might know a solution to your problem there are many possibilities that can happen but the main reason might be that the DVD that you are using might not be in a good condition at all you might be using a DVD which might be having many scratches on it so it might not be working properly you can do is that you will have to clean the DVD once and then try to insert it once again, if it works it is better for you otherwise you will have to dispose the DVD it might be in a really bad condition

I am having a somewhat similar problem with my laptop; in my Sony vaio laptop I am having a Sony dvd-rw ,the same problem comes when I insert some other brand DVD in it ,it shows the light but will say as undetected in it the drive will show as empty when I click on it so is that the same problem or I am having some other kind of problem regarding the DVD-RW or should I try to do some other thing should I use some disk cleaner or some other thing.

I have never heard of any such kind of problem till now and I don’t think that it is possible, I am not saying that you are not being to know about your problem but I don’t think that it has any such relation regarding to brands i.e. when you insert your DVD the drive might not be able to know which brand of DVD you are using so it has no relation with the brands. Yes you can try one thing that you can try and update the firmware it might help you out in solving your problem in some way.

As you said that you are having a laptop with you it might have come up with a warranty period which I suppose it might not have been expired for you ,if your laptop is in warranty period you can take your laptop to a service center and show the same problem in front of them because they might say that this kind of problem never occurs in the laptop ,so by showing the problem in front of them you might get the DVD-RW replaced or they might solve your problem in some other way.