Thread: hard drive replaced gateway ta6

hard drive replaced gateway ta6

I have replaced the hard drive in my Gateway TA6 with a wd sata Scorpio Blue model number wdbabb2500anc-nrsn. When I attempt to load windows xp back on the hard drive, windows cant see the drive. In the bios it lists a different wdc wd2500bevt-22a23t0-(st) in the main Sata field. I have no idea where to go from here. I have tried booting from a dos disk but cant change to a c: prompt. I am stuck please help me. The reason the hard drive was replaced was I was getting just a blank screen with a curser and tried several times to reformat and the hard drive kept failing. I am desperate. I use this machine for college and really need some help. Thank you in advance for your help. When I attempt to find drivers for this machine on gateway they are no longer listed. Helpless and unable to afford professional help or replacement.

Re: hard drive replaced gateway ta6

Actually, you are trying to installing XP on a SATA drive, there is an additional step. However, Most newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting, change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( could be IDE Mode, Compatibility Mode or Legacy Mode - different BIOS use different terms )some will say IDE instead of ATA)