Thread: How to change default action for Optical drive

How to change default action for Optical drive

How can change the default action (for example, double-click the drive icon, the entry in bold in the context menu of right mouse button) to an optical drive? Note that this has not anything to perform through Autoplay. Always turn AutoPlay completely. I just want to double click to run the old school "Open" action on an optical disk instead of "Play", as almost not at all would like to perform that with a disk. There seems to be a place for this. I guess Microsoft is trying to make things easier for your users, but the lack of configuration flexibility is frustrating.

Re: How to change default action for Optical drive

For data discs such as DVDs of the game, my default has always been "open" without any change log. If I remember correctly, I made that change through the Autorun dialog, but did not work for movie discs. To "Open" the defaulting used for DVD and BD movies, go after the instructions which is specified on the Microsoft site. First, provide one and all a standard disclaimer to edit the Windows registry is the risk of harmful the Windows installation, as a result proceed through caution if you decide to construct these changes.

To achieve this you have to Release your Registry Editor during pressing the "Windows" key + "R” and after that you have to type "Regedit" (not including quotes) within the "Run" window. Once you done with it then you have to Open "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT", and afterward scroll down in anticipation of you find "DVD". When you find DVD at that moment Open that key and followed by click on top of the key labeled "shell". Within the right window you will observe an opening titled "Default", which most likely has significance similar to "Play" or "Play through Power DVD". So you have to Double-click on "Default" and modify the significance to "Open" (not including quotes).

By the way, I made the similar change within the "shell" key there. I could not discover any key to "CD", so that these two changes should be sufficient. The modification takes result straight away; as a result right click on the DVD to prove it. Worked like magnetism for me. This fix took me ten minutes to find and test, so it is very possible that I missed a few cases annoying "Play" default will still show. If anyone finds whatever thing let me be acquainted with.

AutoPlay is not related. Configure default AutoPlay action has no impact on the default double-click action, only what happens mechanically at what time you insert a disc. These problems are very dissimilar. AutoPlay is not the answer, but many people demanding to help in a variety of forums have made the same error. Release AutoPlay control panel. You will get every type of selection. You have to stop auto-run enabled and use the settings to control the default action.

Usually at what time recommending registry edits, public inform you to support your registry first, and in any case have a number of experiences with regedit.exe. At the same time as this remainder good advice, I've establish the Windows registry to be such a heap of junk that you are able to hack regarding 70% of it without causing some undeviating troubles. In view of the fact that I am only recommending an edit to 1 extremely exacting registry key, you won't crack whatever thing as long as you confirm you are editing the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DVD\Shell\play\command" area.