Thread: Life of the SSD is going down

Life of the SSD is going down

Well I am having 96GB Vertex SSD from past couple of week. When I have installed the SSDLife tool on the system it was working normal and the life expectancy of the drive was displaying of the 8 years. In the last week I have noticed that there was drop into the life of the game. I am unable to figure out why there is drop in the life when I am not having any heavy traffic. Let me know about the speculation of yours on this particular matter. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Life of the SSD is going down

It seems to be difficult to find out the root cause of the problem without knowing about the computer configuration. Let me know which operating system do you have installed on the computer? tell me about the hardware configuration of the computer? Do you have done any hardware or software changes on the computer except installing the SSDLife tool on the computer? what troubleshooting steps you have taken to fix the matter of yours? Let me know the answer of yours in this particular situation as early as possible.

I let you know that the defragmentation is not thing which you should do on the SSD. According to me it would be really bad if you are supposed to do defragmentation on the SSD. In SSD data seek is not as that of the hard disk which is having sector and fragmentation of the hard disk would increase the possibility of the retrieval of the data. The cells of the SSD wear out if you are doing write and erase of the data multiple times. However brands SSDs are having extra cells which are use to compensate for the worn cell and wear levelers in order to ensure the same cells are not used over and over in a period of the time.

When the notification would reach to 0 then the BIOS on the computer of your would notify with the SMART warring at the time of the booting of the hard disk. I don’t think so the drive would get shutdown or become read only. The thing life counter is seems to be conservative. I am really strange why there is drop into the hard disk of yours. however I am suggesting that you should backup the data of the drive of yours.

Two things which I would discuss over here that is there could be generation of tons of the 4K random write and there is no trim enabled on the device. Also another thing which I want to state there could be a bug issue with SMART itself. Well I am suggesting that you should simply file a bug report and it should be worked by the SSD. So you should consider the above mentioned points I am hoping that it would be helpful to you.

Looking at the situation I want to know about the warranty of the drive which you are having currently. Well if you are having the replacement warranty then you should claim for the same. make sure that the device of yours should not have any physical damage on the computer. Well you should carry the invoice of the purchase of the device of yours while visiting the service center. Also you should backup the data before you visit the service center of the device which you have purchased.