Thread: How to place a PCIE x 4 cards into PCIE x 16 slot on 939 dual VSTA

How to place a PCIE x 4 cards into PCIE x 16 slot on 939 dual VSTA

Hello ,friends , I have a problem installing a non – graphic card PCIE x 4 cards into an PCIE x16 slot on a 939 dual VSTA. I have a rocket raid 2310. I tried to search high and low over the internet but failed to get any answers. I also tried searching my queries over internet but, to my destiny couldn’t not find any solution for this one. As I don ‘t have any previous experience in fixing such applications . Any suggestions can fix my problems are invited. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to place a PCIE x 4 cards into PCIE x 16 slot on 939 dual VSTA

It works, and its also back wards compatible with the, But it would work at pcix4 speed .I guess you should check whether the x4 card slot can handle the power used by the x16 card. Normally companies do provide with an external power supply cords as they know that the customer would upgrade it pcix4 to higher version’s somewhere in the future .Some times they connect it pcix16 slot to a lower power supply cord so that the user can gain the rest of the power form the external power supply .

Yes you can connect it on the PCIE x4 slot only problem that could occur is the speed being halved but apparently it would rarely affect the performance. You should upgrade your bios to a the latest one to avoid any other problems that may arise after you are done fixing the slot on your 939 dual VSTA. There are various versions of PCIe namely 1x,4x,8x,16x. they just differ in their pins they use and the work they perform normally the PCIe perform different work right from servers , to high bandwidth input/output use.

I think you should consider my post before upgrading; PCI Express 1X connector is used for connecting high bandwidth input and output devices. 4X is used for Server connections , 8X is also used for the same purpose ,16X connectors is 89mm long is most commonly used on the graphics port and has 164 pins . It also indented to replace PC card technology with its PCIE connectors .I surely connects and I have been using it since ages.