Thread: Is Molex better than Sata Power?

Is Molex better than Sata Power?

I contain a modular power supply. If I wish for to another hard drive (which is my main system drive and a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD), which will have to connect an additional SATA power cable, which adds a lot of cables, as there are 4 plugs on it. However, I have a Molex power connector opened in an existing cable. In addition, I have a Molex to Sata power converter. Would there be any harm in simply using the converter? Or is there something that is lost by not using a SATA power?

Re: Is Molex better than Sata Power?

They place 3.3v into the connector, although the units did not need it, with the intention that in a couple of years once everyone had SATA power connectors could begin to design the units to use. We are in what, 7 years out connector, and most units still not in use. I guess there are enough people with molex to SATA adapters (or the use of a motherboard or bay hotswap molex connectors) that have not implemented the widespread use 3.3v line for the units. It's a bit annoying, because the molex going to die, but still widely used in fan controllers and other peripherals.

In the 200 is installed SATA drive I've done, I've never had a single SATA cable break. I have moreover never had a particular bad SATA cable. This is mainly with the cables that come with motherboards as each latest board comprise usually 4 to 6 SATA cables and 1 or 2 power adapters. Are obviously strong enough for large equipment manufacturers like Dell and HP, as well as the connectors used on all your computers. I dare say that probably have higher strength requirements than most people.

They are not as strong as Molex, I guarantee that. I broke one of the power connectors slap the hell out of the back of a hard drive trying to install a 4870X2 a couple of years in an Antec 900. Separations are more stringent, as it is and I have a case of on top of a pack of 12 and have been stuck in any way without disconnecting the SATA cables. I never made it to a molex plug however. We met again with super glue and now cloned the hard drive broke is in an outer casing. At that time it was an expensive lesson learned.

They possibly will break easier, Molex similar to not include the pins line up (particularly if you're using similar to molex in the direction of SATA adapters or somewhat similar to that), so that it moreover doesn't fit within appropriately, or it fits within however one of the pins acquire pushed out of the connector. I hope now you are clear with your doubt. If you still have a doubt then you can search it on internet. I am sure you will get proper solution there. Thank you.

You will be well with it, even though the majority ssds can make use of the 3.3v line, they do not necessitate it. The simply drives that necessitate the 3.3v are drives on top of minisata, and those make use of 3.3v completely. I have never seen a mechanical 3.5" drive that requires the 3.3V line, in reality they all the time articulate +5v and +12v resting on the drive. SSDS necessitate either the 3.3v line or the 5v line, not in cooperation. And on every drives that are not mini-sata it will make use of moreover of those lines.