Thread: WoW wired headset Software Installation error (Error I-001)

WoW wired headset Software Installation error (Error I-001)

I just got my new WoW headset in the mail, so am in the process of getting it set up. So I went on to the soundblaster website to find the software, got the Windows 7 64 bit version, as that is what I have. Problem is, when I went to actually install it after downloading, it gave me a fatal error towards the end of the process, and it has been consistently giving it to me now every time I try to do it. The error code that it gave me to bring up with the site was "Error I-001". It gives me this error after I choose all the options in the installer and it actually gets to the installation process. If anyone could let me know what I ought to do about this, please let me know.

Re: WoW wired headset Software Installation error (Error I-001)

I am betting there is a resident portion of the registry that did not get cleared out. Something that was modified or added. There are several routs you can go to check this. To do that, you will have to login to regedit. Go to HKLM (Hkey_Local_Machine)/system/current control set. Then look under enum/root and look for creative related stuff. Confirm it by checking the dwords associated. Delete them. Then do the same thing under services not enum/root and remove creative associated items. Then check under software/microsoft/windows/current/run and make sure that the creative associated items are removed. Also check in that same area under run once.

There is one more option that can help you to resolve the problem that you are facing. You can make use of the regmon. Regmon is nothing but the Registry monitoring function which will show that which applications is accessing Registry an the keys they are accessing. Other than this, it will also tell you the Registry data which they are reading as well as writing. This advanced function takes us one step away from what fixed Registry tools can perform, to allow us perceive and recognize accurately how programs exercise the Registry. By static tools we may be able to observe what Registry values as well as keys changed. By means of Regmon we will perceive how the values and keys modified. Run Regmon and then do the install again. Then you will need to stop the regmon monitoring and go and see where the installation was looking in the registry since support is not being helpful in the matter.

There is one more utility that might help at that point is filemon. It monitors and logs all file system changes while it is running. (It can be painful to dig through all of these mind you). I hope my suggestions help. Do not edit the registry yourself if you’re not absolutely sure of what you are removing. Some of the changes will require recursive permission changes in the registry. If you lose your registry then you will need to start completely over. Possibly even reimage the system so always backup the registry or portion thereof before making changes.

I would like to tell you that some of the times your temporary directory gets full and the files will not extract properly. Just use WinRar or WinAce, 7-zip, etc and extract the Creative file you downloaded by right clicking it and choose extract to and do so to a new folder you make. Then look inside that folder for the setup.exe and try installing again. Others on the forums had this issue and manually unpacking the file and running its setup does the trick.

I have attempted to remove uninstall everything I could find with creative attached to it, i however didn't find anything in the registry that i could relate to creative.* However when i do a complete uninstall and deletion of everything i can find, there is still a service from creative that remains that I cannot figure out how to get rid of.* It is CTAudSvcService / Creative Audio Service, this service/process remains on the pc and I have to go into msconfig to even be able to get the service to stop so I can delete the folders in the installation path thats left from uninstall. I have also tried the manual extract and install method, same results.*

Pull down that over again from sysinternals. It will make cleaning up the registry a TON easier for stuff like this. If it is resident in memory you can grab process explorer from sysinternals to locate and kill it. When removing a service first get the real service name from your services control panel. If it is there of course. That will help a ton. Then if you want to do it manually it will be under hkey local machine. System then current control set then services. Locate and delete. You may want to also look under enum root for other portions. The name in the registry often is not clear.

Quote Originally Posted by anywhere View Post
    I would like to tell you that some of the times your temporary directory gets full and the files will not extract properly. Just use WinRar or WinAce, 7-zip, etc and extract the Creative file you downloaded by right clicking it and choose extract to and do so to a new folder you make. Then look inside that folder for the setup.exe and try installing again. Others on the forums had this issue and manually unpacking the file and running its setup does the trick.

You Sir are a genius!! i have been getting this error for years with various creative products and this one little solution fixed them all! Thank you so much!