Thread: Which is the Best way to copy 1tb of data

Which is the Best way to copy 1tb of data

Hi friends I am having a Hitachi 1 TB hard drive and it has no free space left. So I want to transfer all the data from the 1 Tb external hard drive to the computer. I am having a desktop with windows 7 operating system. To copy the data from hard drive to the computer I am just performing copy and paste action. The copy action progresses but the transfer of data is very slow. So I want to know, is there any better way to with which the copying can take fast.

Re: Which is the Best way to copy 1tb of data

Copy and paste action is one of the simple way to copy data but this process takes a long time to complete. If you are copying a data and at the same time you are running some other program on the computer then it will automatically slow down the copying process. If the connection is via SATA or something which is equally fast, then the rate of data transfer will be limited. Make sure that no other programs like antivirus scan and back up is running in the background. This can also slow down the rate of copying data.

Cut/copy/paste is the easiest way to copy data from source to destination. But here is something which will help you. Get Acronis true Image Home 2011,copy it to the Cd and then image old drive in to the new drive. You can also download this software. Windows 7 operating system has built in copy of “Robocopy”. Type “Robocopy/?” on the command prompt to get the options. You can create an image of all files and folders.here is an example for you. Type “robocopy <source> <destination> /MIR /PURGE /V /R:10 /W:30 /NFL /NDL /TEE /LOG:<log location>”.

Copying process is slow but differs from system to system. If you are having a computer whose processing is very fast like that of modern laptops and PC, then the copying is faster. You can also use software like robocopy which is the built in application in windows 7. The problem that arise while copying data is that if there is any copy error in between, then the copying stops. But if you use the ”Xcopy” software then it has an option with which copying doesn’t stop, even if it encounters any error

Xcopy is the best copying software which shows the complete detail of error and the file which was not copied. Even robocopy is also good in moving large number of files. The file transfer is far better than the ordinary copying. Here is another way by which you can increase copying speed.get a spare SATA cable, open the casing of external drive, now connect the power and SATA data leads to the drive as well as computer. This can help you to achieve copying speed

I had been using windows 7 since long time but I was unknown of “Robocopy” tool. I dint knew that windows 7 has this built in application for imaging and copying the data. I came to know about it after I completed with the copying task. But before copying I just closed all the unwanted process from the task manager. I also disabled the antivirus program in the system. It took me around six hours to move all the data from the hard drive. Thank you guys for sparing your precious time and helping me.