Thread: Hard Drive Clicks while Shutting down in windows 7

Hard Drive Clicks while Shutting down in windows 7

Hi, I am having a desktop with 3 Gb RAM and 500GB HDD.I am using windows 7 operating system. As I always wanted to upgrade my PC so recently I got a 1 TB Hitachi hard drive and replaced it with the old 500 GB HDD. It worked fine but now there is some problem with it. Whenever I restart or shutdown the computer I could hear multiple click sounds from the hard disk. Yesterday the drive just showed up S.M.A.R.T error. I think that the click might be the parking. I want to know if the windows use BIOS to turn off the drives. Can any one tell me the solution for this click sound.

Re: Hard Drive Clicks while Shutting down in windows 7

There can be many reasons for the click sound coming from the CPU, unless you are not sure from which component of CPU the sound is coming. My computer also makes the click sound but the sound use to come from the CD ROM drive. The Hard drive, you are using has auto park so its not a windows error. First find out which of the hardware component is making such click sounds and then check the controllers.

Scan your hard drive with an antivirus and check for any kind of virus or worms that may have infected it. Hard drives usually have auto park so there is no chance of windows error. Try to monitor the spin down profile after the hard drive power failure by writing the microcontroller code. You will find that the tiny corner of the PCB parked the heads during disk power failure.

Try to find out in ATA command set if there is anything about head parking. The auto parking is a mechanical action that uses the magnet. When there is a power cut or power failure in the drive the actuator arm rolls back to the park position. If you will try to put the arm across the disk drive when the power is turned off, you will realize that the magnet puts it back to the park position.

The buffer flushing is totally an electronic and not a mechanical process, as the buffer in the hard drive is only a internal RAM. There might be some voltage problem in the power box due to which the hard drive is unable to shut down properly and is making the click sounds. The hard drive has also encountered the S.M.A.R.T error so my opinion to you is change the hard disk or get it replaced if it is under warranty period.

The modern hard drives have auto park. In the old hard drives the auto park was not available so park commands were needed, for which stepper motor were used. A mechanical latch is involved in the head park, which is released on spin up by windage. In the hard drive internal buffer, drive firmware is the responsible for flushing.