Thread: Hard Drive ticking noise.

Hard Drive ticking noise.

Hello,

I am running a XP, and just yesterday, after starting up my PC, it began making some sort of "ticking" noise that apperantly, is coming from the hard drive each time I press a button on my keyboard.
    I've searched all over the net for this issue, but without success to find a thread or an explanation about this problem.

I've tryed to un-plug and re-plug the connection of my hard drive and RAM, just to make sure, but nothing changed.

I would very much appreciate help about this issue.

Re: Hard Drive ticking noise.

It sounds like some problem with keyboard and not with your harddrive. Not sure but we should try some troubleshoot for the same. Did you tried unplug and replugging the keyboard ? If not than try and see what happens. Also, check the settings under Control Panel, Accessibility Options, Keyboard. Make sure "ToggleKeys" are not marked.

First of, thanks for the reply!
    But I've already re-pluged the keyboard, and tried to make sure the toggle key isn't marked.
    The thing is, I also can't type the same button repeatedly, unless I wait about a second.. And since the sound is coming from the hard drive itself, I find it quite strange.

How old is the hard drive? You can check the status of the hard drive whether it is at some issues or not by enabling the SMART control in your bios option. Normally, a hard drive ticking issue simply means that your hard drive is failing or soon going to be, so backup all important data's as soon as you can. If it is under warranty then consider replacing the hard drive.