Thread: Need your opinion on WD Caviar Black HDD’s and RAID

Need your opinion on WD Caviar Black HDD’s and RAID

Some of you are using Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive in various configurations RAID. I also purchased WD Caviar Black before he realized TLER problems. I was thinking of using them in RAID 5 with 8 hard drives, 6-640, and black caviar 2 750. WD RAID 5 I said could not be complete. So, I determined to thing for in a 0 or 0 +1, or 10. An auctions person said me WD one that would work. One technical person tells me that not anything would effort among the Caviar Black. Now I am actually confused and did not like WD. But I have forever used their hard drives without troubles. So please post your opinion.

Re: Need your opinion on WD Caviar Black HDD’s and RAID

In a RAID 0, any hard drive breakdown means information defeat, no subject TLER or not. In a RAID 1, the two disks store the same information, and if one disk be unsuccessful, revival is pretty directly forward and easy. Also, there is no important presentation squalor if a hard drive fails in RAID 1 (esp. at what time measure up to to RAID 5). TLER would set up certain dissimilarity, but not important. RAID 0+1 is a combination of the above two, and TLER does not create any important gain on it. So if you thinking to run RAID 0, RAID1, or RAID 0+1, there is no sensible benefit in a TLER-capable hard drive.

I utilized to run a RAID 1 with WD2500AAKS drives (attractive confident that is the model#) on a MSI Neo4 Ultra motherboard. One of the drives would failure as a minimum once each three to five months. It was simple sufficient to do a rapid format, throw it back keen on the array and let the array reconstruct itself. If you do not like the problem of having to reconstruct the array, I would advocate using the drives independently and now making normal backups.

Pddaugusto, thanks for your respond. The form you used is a Caviar Blue. That is good to know, thanks for giving out. I think on using additional back up not presently RAID. My option is to the Caviar Blacks is to purchase RE3 HDD's. Difficulty is a 500GB goes for $79 or extra, and the cost goes way up as the GB’s raise. I cannot pay for to put the Caviar Blacks on a ledge and purchase RE3's. I would have to pay out $400 for 5 x RE3 HDD's. I would rather rapid format and reconstruct infrequently, if I have a difficulty at all. I have talked to more than a few persons who have no difficulty with the Caviar Blacks in RAiD 0 or 1. WD's site also says that the Caviar Blacks are building and experienced for RAID 0, and 1.

I wish for to share my knowledge with running WD caviar black in RAID 1. I started having troubles right from the begin. The result was (and at rest is) harsh. After the RAID 1 is construct I run a RAID 1 ensure and it comes back unenthusiastic, so I have to reconstruct the RAID1 once more. I distorted the RAID controller among a fresh one, and then I altered the RAID controller among completely dissimilar one from a different company. The problem still exists. I am upgrading the RAID1 each week on an agenda. The difficulty is that I not at all know what time it smash. The RAID controllers do not notice or inform that back. Unluckily that creates the RAID1 useless for information defense.