Thread: lost the password of Western Digital passport

lost the password of Western Digital passport

I am having a Western Digital passport hard drive with 500GB memory capacity .I am having windows7 installed in my acer laptop. The problem is that I had set password in it for some confidential reason. I had not used it for many days so now that I want to access it, it’s asking for password. Unfortunately I have lost my password. When I tried to format it still it’s asking for password .Somebody please tell me what to do so that I can reuse my Western Digital passport. I don’t care about the data inside it as I don’t need it anymore .please tell me how do I format.

Re: lost the password of Western Digital passport

Check if you can remove the the drive from its cabinet. If you can do so then connect it to your computer and try to access data. See if your drive is locked itself. If it’s so then there might be a back door password. This password is provided by the manufacturer. If the drive is not self locked then it might be windows related password and there are lot of ways to bypass it. You can get the manufacturer password from the manufacturing company or you can try in Google by entering its proper model.

You can format your Western Digital drive but you will loss data. For this you have to download WD smart ware update. Extract the zip file that you have downloaded and run .exe then continue update and accept agreement. Next you got to select update firmware. In the warning section select the checkbox stating the warning then a button drive eraser will appear. Now click the button and wait till it shows end process and quit. Now you have unlocked your drive and it is ready to use again.

You can format your Western Digital drive .first you connect your drive with the computer. Now when the drive prompts you for the password then you enter any wrong password five times. Then you will be prompted to erase the existing drive. If it doesn’t prompt to unlock the drive then access the Western Digital smart ware Cd and in the unlocker button double click it.I hope this if you follow this solution your problem is over.

thanks you all for all your advices. I got the manufacturer password and I got my drive unlocked. Thank you all again for your advices and support.

hi there, I got exactly the same problem with my wd passport hard drive, could you tell me what did you do to get it fix please. how did you get the manucfacture password? thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by miguelangel View Post
    hi there, I got exactly the same problem with my wd passport hard drive, could you tell me what did you do to get it fix please. how did you get the manucfacture password? thank you.
    Can you try to download the WD SmartWare that can unlock a drive two different ways. The Automatic Unlock pops up if you have SmartWare installed and a locked drive is attached. The other way is by Manual Unlock. To manually unlock the drive you open the Virtual CD and double click on the "Unlock” icon. The manual unlock does not require SmartWare to be installed on the system. If that doesnt work then I am afraid that your data is lost.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

ok, thank you, I will try that and let you know if it works.