Thread: The XFX HD 6950 suddenly becomes too hot

The XFX HD 6950 suddenly becomes too hot

I am using a 2GB XFX HD 6950 and everything was fine until some problem began to occur. When I use Everest AID A64 I get the feeling that my 2GB XFX HD 6950 suddenly becomes hot. I just check out the temperature and it showed that it jumped above sixty degrees. There's already a 120mm fan blowing at it .Also I have 3 displays running together. What I usually do is to surf on net and sometimes work on word processing. But even while doing such basic it becomes hot. Please if anyone knows then reply me immediately. I am waiting for the solutions.

Re: The XFX HD 6950 suddenly becomes too hot

I had a look at your problem and I it’s a problem that is faced by many. I think that the reason behind this issue is that you are running a number if displays together. It goes hot because of the number of displays its driving. So if you only had one display it would run cooler in windows. I think that you should work put on this and I am sure that it will help you to fix your problem. Also the 120mm fan which you are talking about is supplying it with outside air it’s not of a real help to cool down your card as the heat sink is covered in plastic.

Even I would agree with the earlier solution. I feel that the three monitors are causing your XFX HD 6950 to get very hot. The problem is that the three displays causes it to run at a very high clock speed which actually translated into heat. You should always remember that the AMD uses a very high fan profile. What I mean to say that the fan will not ramp up unless it has to. So check your clock in the GPU. Work on this solution and I am sure that it will also work.

Looking at your query I think that the clock speed would be in mid region. The hardware accelerated flash will raise the DC power consumption by some watts. So the extra head that is generated has to go somewhere, thus, you see higher idle temps. But if you are saying that the temperature goes above sixty degrees then it’s not a big issue. It usually is in that region. Also what AMD has done is that rather than use a totally unnecessary high fan speed they just allow the idle temperature to rise. So I feel that you don’t have to worry much about this issue.

Thank you all for providing me with the solutions. I checked all the solution and feel that there isn’t a much issue about the problem that I am facing. I thought that I need to use something like the MSI after burner to manually raise the fan rpm on the card till. So this might have helped to lower the fan temperature. Actually I didn't knew much about how these cards and how they exactly they work so I wasn’t sure if the temperatures were too high. So I would once again like to thank you for providing me with the solutions.