Thread: Western Digital WD5000AAKS hard disk is dead?

Western Digital WD5000AAKS hard disk is dead?

I am having WD5000AAKS 500GB Caviar blue hard disk. I am using this particular hard disk from past on year. Well I have recently changed the PSU and I am unable to find out my hard disk. Well I am unable to find out the hard disk of mine in to the BIOS of the system even it did not make any noise or vibration at the time of start up. Hence I suspect that my hard disk might be dead. It is having lots of precious information which is very useful at the work place of mine. Anyone having any idea to find out what is happening wrong will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Western Digital WD5000AAKS hard disk is dead?

You told me that you have recently bought a new PSU. Am I right? Well its very simple I suspect that this problem is occurring due to PCB fault. I recommend that you should measure the resistance of the 12V and 5V TVS diodes and also resistance of the zero-ohm resistors which are R64 and R67 which are located at the nearby of the SATA power connector. Now you need to set the multimeter of the resistance of the 200 ohms. Now you have to plug black probe which lead to DMM's COM banana socket and red probe to the volt socket. Now plug probe tips to each side of the component which is going to be tested. Depending on the results you will be able to fix the problem of yours. Let me know what readings are produced after doing above.

I don’t recommend about the replacing of PCB. Why because each and every PCB stores the exclusive information regarding the hard disk which you are using on the computer of yours. You should do the above motioned thing with great patients. I have seen that some Western Digital hard disk is having this information stored into 8-pin serial flash memory chip which is located at U12. For your information U12 is unpopulated which means it is adaptive are the internal to the Marvell.

Looking at the situation you have provided above I asking following quick checks which you can consider while troubleshooting this particular problem. Let me know whether there is any burn mark on the hard disk of yours. You should remove the hard disk of yours and double check this particular thing. Specifically you see on the Chips of the hard disk. Also tell me whether your drive is completely silent or it sounds like when motor is seized? Answer the above quick checks and I will let you know what further steps should be taken to fix the problem of yours.

Have you checked the hard disk of your with using different computer? Well I recommend that you should connect the hard disk of your and see what happens. Also same thing you can do on your computer. You can borrow hard disk from the friends or relatives of yours and install the same on your system. Once you have done above mentioned thing you will be able to find out where is the root cause of the problem. since there are number of reasons which might be causing the problem such as Power Supply issue, Faulty cable and last but not the lease dead hard disk.

I think this problem might be occurring due to BIOS which you are having on the computer of yours. Well I strongly recommend that you should go for the latest BIOS update in order to fix the problem of yours. You can get the BIOS update from the official website of the motherboard manufacturer. You should be very careful while doing this since any mistake will result you to purchase of the new motherboard.

HDD stop responding after replacing the psu it means you have problem with connectors just compare old psu details to new psu if there is defrent change it or it will kill hdd or same dvd rom or if every thing is ok with psu then go to bios and set sata controller to automatic mode or try to check on other sata port on your mother board if all fails check add with different system to ensure it is dead or not try it