Thread: No rights to access the USB drive

No rights to access the USB drive

I've been using a 1 TB drive from Seagate in Vantec spring. Suddenly, the unit has begun to appear write protected and I cannot add or delete any file on the disk. This is very surprising because I have not found any answer as to how I can remove the write protection thing and use my unit normally. This problem has many answers for Windows XP, but I cannot really Google an answer for Windows 7 Ultimate. Because I have tried it failed to find anything so please help me here and let me know what I can do to solve out the issue here.

Re: No rights to access the USB drive

The first thing that came into my mind here is that someone have really change the rights for the disk I mean you are now not the authorized user of the disk that you are using. Now what you have to do here is that just see whether you have logged in which account I mean a admin one or the normal and it is the normal user account then you have to just do one thing that try and log yourself n the administrators account and once this is done then you can solve the issue which you are facing. Because if you are the administrator then you can change the settings for the same.

Well if you are facing any issues with the drive that you are using then you can just see whether you are able to solve the issue by doing the following.
    • Run Registry Editor (regedit).
    • Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
    • Go into StorageDevicePolicies.
    • Highlight StorageDevicePolicies, and then delete the current word 32 bit and
    create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value no name it leave it as is.
    I hope that this will help you to overcome the problem which is being faced by you.

Well is the problem is really associated with the drives then you can do one thing and that is nothing but hard reset the drive which you are using, because there are chances that the drive is being attacked by viruses and that is the reason why you are unable to have an access on the hard drive and also it is behaving in an unusual way. I am sure that doing this thing will surely help you to solve the issue here and then you can use the USB drive back on your system.

Well the first thing I want you to do here is that just see whether the drive is detected on any other system because it may have also happen that there are some issues related to the system that you are using. So se any other alternate system and connect the drive there and if the drive is connected and detected successfully then the whole problem is related to the system. And if it is not being detected on that system also then you have to worry a little bit because the hard drive have some issue to deal with and then you can visit the appropriate retailer from whom you took the drive and try and replace any if possible.