Thread: Local Disk Q: shows Free Space- 0 bytes, Total Space- 0 bytes and Access Denied message

Local Disk Q: shows Free Space- 0 bytes, Total Space- 0 bytes and Access Denied message

I in recent times had windows Vista as well as a virus, after that got free of both plus installed Windows 7 home premium. I also have a portable hard drive that I make use to save a number of files from the Vista Operating System edition of my PC, as well as a number of which are back on my PC now by means of Windows 7. Soon after installing Windows 7 I ended up with two new folders inside my portable hard drive. And today when I opened up My PC and unexpectedly there is a new hard drive known as Local Disk (Q) which provide me an "Access Denied" message at what time I attempt to open it in any means. At what time I click it, no info displays at the foot, and at what time I right click and select Properties, it states Free Space: 0 bytes and Total Space: 0 bytes. Can anyone tell me how do I get free of this Q:drive?

Re: Local Disk Q: shows Free Space- 0 bytes, Total Space- 0 bytes and Access Denied message

I will recommend you to follow the below steps to give full control. Let’s try providing permissions to the drive:
    1. Right-click on the drive and choose Properties.
    2. Now click on the Security tab and select advanced in the lower right.
    3. After that in the Advanced security tab click on owner tab. click Edit / Other users or groups / Advanced in the lower left corner.
    4. Click Find Now. Navigate to the user account and double click. Click Ok for all windows apart from first properties window.
    5. Choose your user account as well as click Edit.
    6. Choose your user account once more and after that check Full control under Allow. click Yes.  

Re: Local Disk Q: shows Free Space- 0 bytes, Total Space- 0 bytes and Access Denied message

I will suggest you to verify inside Disk management whether it is displaying or not. If yes then right click on the drive as well as format it.

1. Go to start menu and select control panel after that click System and Maintenance and click on Administrative Tools, and after that double-clicking Computer Management . This may ask you to enter your username/password provide the credentials or else press ok.
    2. click Disk Management under storage.
    3. The drive which you want to format right click on it and after that click Format.
    4. click OK, and then click OK once more to format the drive with default setting.

Thank you for your valuable suggestion. I have already reformatted as well as reinstalled Windows 7. The 0-bytes Q disk shows to be gone at the moment. I did not have an opportunity to attempt the solutions above. Hope that this will be helpful to someone else having the same issue. Thank you once more for your valuable suggestion.

I also have a Q drive labeled "Local Disk" (possibly Microsoft be supposed to make use of a more descriptive name) which, now that you talk about it, did not come until I make use of office 2010 Beta yesterday. "Microsoft Office Quasi-Drive" will be such a superior name which will provide users a hint as to why it showed up on their PC. I am thinking it was a virus.

bargle Guest

Hi folks,

I had the same problem, apparently because I tried installing ms office starter from the pendrive (ms office starter comes with an option to make a to-go disk, its official so nothing dodgy there) on my computer which was already running ms office 2010 ...just to check it out, but i cancelled the process in between and plugged out my pendrive without safe removal. (who cares!)

i tried getting its ownership but it wouldnt let me, so i tried taking the ownership in safe mode. when i booted in safe mode there was no Q: drive!! so... unable to do anything else, i rebooted normally and the Q: drive was gone. just like that.

hoping the same luck to you,
    Nis.