Thread: Difference in data transfer rate betwween USB 2.0 and SATA II

Difference in data transfer rate betwween USB 2.0 and SATA II

If you view at simple statistics on buffer to data transfer rate on hard drives, a characteristic rate is 780Mbs, and that for a USB its 480Mbs. I am not fully not persuaded this shows the real world performance. So I just wanted to know have I calculated the speed of the data in both the drives in correct manner or is there any other way to measure the speed .

Re: Difference in data transfer rate betwween USB 2.0 and SATA II

Lets say assume that external SATA II drive that has both the connectors for the SATA II drive and USB 2.0 connectors and also assume that it is been connected your external SATA II port and you send a RAR file transfer over it which has the size of 1 GB to your l hard drive connected internally , you perform this same task that is transfer the RAR file overthere , I think the hard drive will work faster.

I think a real world test would describe it in a better manner , since we were discussing about external hard drive and I was looking for an enclosure that will install a SATA II 3.5 drive and had both USB 2 and SATA II connectivity with the computer . First I thought way , but as I saw different scenarios from different sources I think it will create a biased result.

Hey thanks to those who has replied, although I have not replied for a while . The idea of testing was In fact, I took this information I have found the result myself So in the two tests, the USB transfer about 1/3 as fast. And the transfer rates for a very good quality USB device should be a maximum and should send the packets 45MB per second I at least think. This shows that both USB and SATA transfer rates are greatly restricted by their peripheral hardware.