Thread: Windows 7 does not recognize CanoScan N656U scanner

Windows 7 does not recognize CanoScan N656U scanner

I have got desktop system which had bought one and half years back, I did not bought any branded system, I had rather opted for an assembled system , I had bought Asus motherboard , AMD Phenom II x6 1055t processor installed , with 2 GB of RAM and 500 GB of hard drive and a portable hard drive as well, I had installed Windows xp operating system as well first, but later on few people recommended me to use Windows xp operating system , so I did I as they had directed , I asked my friend to come and install Windows 7, so he did. My computer is working absolutely fine till this date but there is one issue with my scanner , it does not work at all now , I do not know what to do and I am really worried because I had recently bought my new scanner. I have got a CanoScan N656U scanner. Please help me if anybody has any idea about fixing this issue, I can provide you whatever information you want to know about my system.

Re: Windows 7 does not recognize CanoScan N656U scanner

Thank you for posting your question in the forum. You said you have a CanoScan N656U scanner and according to you you are unable to use your scanner with your system. But you have not mentioned any thing what happens when you try to connect it with your system . Whenever you attempt to scan any file or any document does it prompt any error message ? Since how long you are not able to scan your files ? Did you buy the scanner along with your system or before or after it ? Please give appropriate replies to the above question being asked so that it would be easy for me too to provide you the accurate solution .

I am really sorry for providing incomplete information , thank you for probing in such a manner , it seems you are a technician or it seems you have gained expertise in this area because it reminded me about a few details which I had failed to mention in my earlier post. I had not purchased my scanner along with my system , but in fact I had bought after six months from the date of purchase of my system. I had connected it with my system when I was using Windows xp operating system , it worked fine then. I do not understand what is wrong in Windows 7, it is much more advanced than the Windows xp. If you ask about any error message , I cannot say much about it but I think my system does not even accept it or recognize it at all. Thank you for probing and making me speak about the core issue.

Well thank you for such compliment, I am not exactly a technician , I would just say that I love the hard ware and helping other so solve their hardware related queries if I think it is in my scope , as far as the solution for your issue you can check for the loose connections and see does the scanner powers on or not. Then check for the drivers of the scanners in the device manager , if you find something funny out there such as an exclamation mark or a question mark then immediately uninstall the driver if it is there and reinstall the fresh drivers after downloading it from the Canon website and make sure you select appropriate scanner name while downloading the drivers.

If you do not find drivers in the device manager for the Canon scanner there is one software called as Hamrick Software's VueScan which you can with your Windows 7 operating system . If you do not trust it you can download a free trial version instead if the full version. So see whether the trial version works with your system , then please do not forget to notify me if it really worked or not.

I was too facing the same issue you are facing it right now however I had succeeded downloading and installing the drivers for my Canon CanoScan N1220U, I had downloaded the drivers from a website download.com an just punched in my scanners model name.. You too can do the same and check whether you find a driver for the scanner you are looking for and also check in the website whether it states that it is compatible with Windows 7 . If it does not work there is one more software that lets you to interact with the scanner under Windows 7 platform. It is ScanGear CS-U 5.7.1c, it is available free of cost from the net.

You had said that prior to Windows 7 you had installed windows xp and your system had worked absolutely fine in that. Yes indeed Windows 7 is the advanced version of the Windows xp operating system and has much more capable features than that of Windows xp. But what is the use of such advanced operating system if it does not fulfill your desired task. So if you think it is really important for you to scan those pictures, then do not hesitate to call your friend who had come to install Windows 7 operating system and ask him to uninstall it and reinstate the Windows xp back