Thread: How to extend the DVD Ribbon cable in a 12" G4 iBook

How to extend the DVD Ribbon cable in a 12" G4 iBook

I have one issue in 12" G4 iBook main board and that is the lack is length of DVD drive ribbon cable.The steadiest place for the logic board is the SE's unique logic board casing at the bottom, but the DVD ribbon isn't lengthy enough to acquire it sitting contentedly atop a USB floppy at the floppy grille location. So I want to either enlarge the ribbon cable or buy a longer one. What I've seen is the tiny little ribbon is a bit pricey. So is there any option to lengthen the cable is possible.

Re: How to extend the DVD Ribbon cable in a 12" G4 iBook

It is not possible to lengthen it. By doing this you may get lot of problem.The ribbon cable which we are using to connect from motherboard to other drives is very delicate and weak. You cannot connect 2 cut cable to make it one because it contains very thin wires and each one is important here. But you can try it using IDE Cord for making connection between individual wires in a ribbon cable. But it is a very frustrating task.

Other than extending ribbon cable there may be a better or just special, idea would be to observe if you can discover a ribbon cable that has the right connectors already attached on it. Some ribbon cable comes like that which contain connectors between them. For this connectors you need to find reverse cables to connect or extend it.

You can solder those ribbon cable if you know how to do it. Use a lighter and pass it beneath the ending of the cable you want to solder to. Do not burn the plastic; just melt it. Once the plastic becomes warm, pull the melted plastic off of the wires using a paper. Now solder to other and now cautiously drag the leads up from the rest of the plastic