Thread: How long will a HDD last if not used much?

How long will a HDD last if not used much?

My friend is having Dual Core computer. It is working well. It has 250 GB internal hard drive but he is very smart boy. He is carrying his system around 210GB data. Now its system is running slowly. He want upgrade the internal hard drive. But problem is that he doesn’t have money for purchase the new hard drive. I have to give suggest him. I have one 160 GB hard drive but it has been kept last 6 month. I have to know if I will connect to that system. It will work finely or not.

Re: How long will a HDD last if not used much?

If you are not using such of any kinds of computer hardware or any electronics gadgets. It cannot be after when you want to use that. The same thing is on computer internal hard drive. If you keep for a long time then you are some lose your data and your hard drive. If possibility for you, back up your entire hard drive files or data. Modern hard drives are planned to sleep after a certain period of immobility. This is to preserve energy and is also careful by some to enlarge the useful life of the drive by falling wear. In standby mode, the hard drive is in a state of low energy consumption and its platters have ceased to snooze.

I have a dell desktop. I too have the same issue with my system. I was using WD internal hard drive. It works well for the first coming weeks and there was not issue. I had connected the same and after some time my operating system was connected due to error. The error was that your operating system is missing or corrupted. But when I get the solution of this its fine. What I did, I just removed drive and checked pins. All its OK.the pins are OK but 40 pin interface cable was damaged. I went to the laming ton. And replace it.

Whenever you connect the internal hard disk to your system. You have to shut down the system first, and after that you open your tower sight cover after connect to the power pin in your hard drive. If you do this thing it will help to you find detect your hard drive. Because when you are not using internal hard drive that is can be damage to your hard drive from the moisture. After you are connected to the both two wires one of the power cable in the CPU inside from the SMPS or power supply. You have to reboot your system and check it is detected or not.

First of all make sure that the hard drive connected to the desktop is detected by the BIOS or not. If it not connects to the system then you have to do check the jumpers are set to the correct function. If it is detected by the BIOS in the desktop there is nothing wrong with the connection of the hard drive. If not detected by the BIOS then I will advise you to contact computer engineer for resolve this hard drive issue in your desktop computer. Because old hard drive came 5 years warranty so you go on it official site then you has to put serial number and check the status of the hard drive warranty.