Thread: It looks my hard drive is going to be dead soon

It looks my hard drive is going to be dead soon

I have Seagate IDE Barracuda hard drive in my computer. It has 80 GB capacity. I have installed there many kinds of programs, Games, Songs and images. The problem is occurred when I had installed near about 25 GB data in my Seagate hard drive. Suddenly some sound becomes came from my computer. I had my open CPU cabinet cover. And I am browsing the sound again. I have seen this sound from my hard drive. The sound is like turbine engine when it powered on. So my think is that whenever I am booting, moving large files or virus scans. I have notice the drive spin up and get louder. Please help me of this kind problem there is my important data on that hard drive.

Re: It looks my hard drive is going to be dead soon

You are using Seagate 80GB hard drive. But at times, will start a grinding sound. It does not appear that performance was affected in any way. But, a sound like this, more often than not means crash might be in the near future. If problem persist between users, then there is during bootable, you can press the E12 key to get to the Boot Device Menu which has option giving to run IDE Drive Diagnostics. You have to run this command and look any errors are reported on the hard drive.

Just based off your details, it is hard to speak if the sound you are hearing is usual or not (without hearing it). The hard drive does make some normal sound during large file installation and the faster hard drives be likely to make more noise calling it a grinding noise would immediately depend on what you describe as a “grinding” noise. I have heard some people explain normal process as a grinding noise which is OK, but if it sounds like a food processor full of nuts and bolts which means that is not OK for your hard drive.

If you’re hard drive make some grinding sound. It’s means hard disk can be damage or there have been bed sector. Seagate Barracuda drives, and especially 7200.7, 7200.8, 7200.9 and 7200.10 series have a very common problem with heads. Seagate introduced new technology in this line - special outside layer for the platters that was made-up to protect magnetic layer. But in fact it caused more problems than safety. Under special circumstances this coating starts to sliver and tiny bits of this material stick to the head read/write rudiments. Analysis becomes more and more unstable, the drive starts losing tracks and at some point uncharacteristic symptoms or bad heads appear when you clicking at your file and browsing internet.

Another common issue with Seagate hard drives is damage to the components on the circuit board (PCBA). Hard drives in wide-ranging are very susceptible to overheating, power spikes and surges. Bad power supply unit shared with power line is usually enough to burn spindle motor organizer driver (SMOOTH chip) on the logic board. If this occurs the computer would reboot itself or shutdown totally, you would normally notice bitter smell and when powered on the drive would not spin up at all. If in your power box electrician is doesn’t give earthling wire that most of time problem is occurred.