Thread: Capabilities of Dual displays with Lenovo X301

Capabilities of Dual displays with Lenovo X301

I am using the Lenovo X301 notebook at my home. Sometimes I borrow it to my office for project presentation. The thing is that I want to connect my X301 to another large monitor so that I can improve my presentation method. I want to know the capabilities of X301 over external display or monitor. I tried connecting my laptop to a projector and I never had problem there. When I connect it using VGA port to external display I don’t see a good clarity on an image. I can’t even amplify the resolution when I connected it to larger LCD or monitor. I cannot take the full advantage of it. Now my requirement is to use either the large external display or two normal size displays for some kind of GIS work. I don’t have any idea about how to take the full advantage of screen resolution. If anyone has made this kind of configuration in their laptop, then please provide me some help. I will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Capabilities of Dual displays with Lenovo X301

As I know there is no lack in resolution if you connected an external display through VGA port. The VGA port provides the exact resolution with automatic settings. So you don’t need to worry about that much. When you connected two LCD or any other external display to X301 and they are running in independent mode then only you can change the resolution of two. If they are running in cloned mode, then you can’t adjust any kind of settings or resolution. The resolutions are already set there. The another thing is if you are driving 20 inch WUXGA LCD through VGA port, then you can comfortably drive 30 inch WQXGA LCD through the display port. It depends on you to using the exact port for external displays.

What model monitors you want t connect to your laptop and what kinds of port included in both? I think using 2 monitors and acquiring good resolution completely depends upon the model of those displays. If you are going to duplicate the display, then both the monitor’s image can gain the dame resolution as presented in the primary display. If you have Intel onboard accelerated graphic display on your laptop the go to its properties by right clicking on the desktop. In that you can select 2 kinds of mode. One is extended or independent mode or the second one is clone mode. These modes are resides under the monitor section.

What is the size of your external displays? Usually the 19inch monitor or LCD supports 1280 x 1024 screen resolution. If you want to use or support two normal external monitors then you have turn off the internal LCD on your laptop or notebook. If you are going to use both the monitor including internal then you will need to connect any one of the external monitor using USB2DVI or USB2VGA converterAs far as my suggestion concern use the display port or digital connection for external monitor to get the better picture quality also with recommended resolution.

If you are really thinking about using 2 displays or making one display using 2 monitor then there are some kind of external components are available to do like this. The devices name as Matrox DualHead2Go or TripleHead2Go will fulfill your needs. It is a kind of dual head card which can capable of driving 2 monitors or LCDS simultaneously. The adaptor from Matrox would make the display adapter into viewing 2 or 3 external monitors is just a big one. This adapter is also work on VGA. This will support several options like internal/VGA, internal/Display port, VGA/Display port (internal disabled), VGA only, Display port only, internal only etc.

The Lenovo X301 contain one display port and a VGA output. These can support one external monitor, if you are really want to use two external displays then get improved Lenovo USB port replicator, which included another VGA output. But the disadvantage is that the x301’s internal driver settings contain only 1400 x 900 max resolutions. So I don’t think that you can experience the resolution you look for.Otherwise you will need a high end graphic card to get the high resolution on big screen.