Thread: Windows 7: Iomega USB hard disk not working properly

Windows 7: Iomega USB hard disk not working properly

I am having a Dell Latitude laptop with the Windows 7 64 bits system architecture. Which is working fine with all the functionality and the other feature those are need to fulfill the daily requirements. Along with that I am having Iomega external USB hard disk drive which is in the capacity of 500 GB, the problem is that the external hard drive is not working properly in my windows 7 compatibility machine. Sometimes it not recognizes in the machine, I bought this one just few months ago. What should I do? Any information to fix the issue?

Re: Windows 7: Iomega USB hard disk not working properly

I had the similar issue with my western digital hard drive, which was not recognized in my windows vista compatibility machine. So I suggest you to do the same that I did in my machine to solve the problem, for that you have to first start the window in safe mode, then switch to console mode of "computer management" for that go to the start menu and search for the option. In the console windows look for the option which is named as view Storage, under that go to the Disk Management tab, make sure that this is working fine and looks as OK. This problem is also occur if you are having any other partition on your hard drive, if you have that one then make sure that the partition that you made in your hard drive is properly done by you.

Similar problem with the Windows 7, the problem is with my newly purchased Western digital 1TeraByte external hard disk drive. The problem is not recognizing the hard drive in my windows 7 compatible machine. I made the fresh reboot of my machine but there is no change with the problem. I tried to run the back up of hard drive, but not able to do this it gives me an error message which is like the "Delayed Write Error". I am not able to read or write operation of my external drive. I tried it with another computer which is run under windows XP, where it runs fine, why it happens only with windows 7? Is there anyone having a solution for this problem, any information regarding this will be appreciated greatly.

I have a simple to overcome from this problem that you mentioned in your post. I had this similar issue after that I did this solution and now it works, this should be hardware issue. I suggest you to go through this it will help you. Plug the USB drive into your machine. Go to the MANAGE option by right click on the computer. Click on the manage option then choose the Device Manager option, expand the USB list which is stored the name of the USB drives which you used in your computer. Fine the USB drive by which you are facing the problem. Uninstall the driver of the USB drive by clicking on the un-install option. Switch off the external USB hard drive, along with that reboot the machine. After few minutes again plug the USB drive into the computer which will automatically install the hardware drive, if not then manually install the driver that you have for the USB hard disk drive.

I think the issue is fir the USB port where you are trying to connect the external hard drive, I recommend you to try this with the other port in your machine. And also try with the other USB device, whether tat is detected or not on the same port. If the same problem occurs still now, then try by this process to solve the problem, first go to start menu and from there open the my computer, after appear the windows of that proceed to “Folder and search options” under the “Organize” option which is situated in the top right corner of window. Click on View tab then make sure the option which is named as "Hide empty drives in the Computer folder" is uncheck, if not then uncheck that and click on OK. And try to connect the USB device, I hope this time it will definitely detect. Some of time some of the which is window installed automatically after connect any USB device, this installed in the hidden folder of windows log file, so after that while try to connect the USB device, this type of problem might be occur. So by the above process, of the driver is hidden in your machine, it will un-hide and you can able to access the device.