Thread: After using HD5970 low fps in GTA 4

After using HD5970 low fps in GTA 4

GTA is my favorite game I ever had before. I had been playing the GTA from the part 1 to 3. Now I recently purchased GTA4 and installed it in my computer. While playing I assumed that there must be some kind of fps problem as compare to other GTA. Then I recognize that the fps seems to be very low. I then change the setting to low only 63fps. But it was still low on fps, even on high settings also. The microstutter was very bad. Can anyone tell why my game lacks with fps? Now my current system configuration is:
    Intel i7 920 2.66GHz
    4GB RAM,
    ATI Radeon HD5970

Re: After using HD5970 low fps in GTA 4

The normal and the possible solution for your problem is to update the ATI drivers. Every gamer, if they got any problem regarding the fps they will suggest to update the drivers if possible. The lack in resource may cause this kind of issue. So you need a good GPU to play them without any interruption. The HD5970 is great. The actual solution can be achieved by overclocking the CPU a bit. The clcok speed of core i7 920 seems to be crazy. How about it if we knock it up to 3.0GHZ or more. The processor is providing the average fps at the current speed. So don’t think about to change the Graphic card yet.You will need a more power for the GTA4.

Many people don’t know that the GTA4 is poorly optimized. It is hunger for the heavy system resources which many people lacks in their computer. The game has good graphic capability, so it is acquiring from the low level system resources for average graphics. I think the system is not enough to take the load if GTA4. But as you described the 63 fps is average or pretty good. It is more than the monitor’s capability. The clock speed needs to be much higher in case you need a better response on graphics. Also ad one more 2 GB RAM if possible.

I have tested several games excluding GTA4 using the HD5970 with all the latest drivers released. It was performed well as I expected. The fps problem can be visible due to Windows/Driver installation or the hardware malfunction. If the drivers are not correctly installed then the problem occurs. So I urge you to uninstall all the ATI and Nvidia drivers and reboot the system. Then Run the Driver Sweeper and once again reboot. Now install the ATI catalyst and latest Application profile and reboot. At last make sure that the Catalyst AI is enabled. Also keep a not that the combined resolution, CPU speed and GPU speed effects the Game performance individually.

The GTA4 has performed excellent on the game consoles. But the PC version game that you currently having may be demanding more than a console I think. Overclocking your system may help you. Another thing the Microstutters and the FPS are two different things. FPS issue falls to CPU division and the Microstutter is a memory trouble issue, which means game timing. Do the following things if necessary.
    • Scan for virus using a good and updated antivirus program
    • Update the Video card drivers and if necessary use Driver cleaner.
    • Also Update the BIOS
    • Also kill the programs running in the background. Those programs sometime take more CPU usage.