Thread: Third Party Digital Video Recorder without Service

Third Party Digital Video Recorder without Service

Well I think that from the title you all have must got the idea of what I am up to. I have a LCD TV and a DVD recorder but I do not have the Cable Box. In addition to that I have the QAM tuner on both the DVD Recorder and the LCD TV. With the arrangements that I have I can see some of the channels and in addition to that I can also have some of the high definition channels as well. I am really happy with the DVD recorder that I am having with me. The only issue that I am facing is while dealing with the media. Along with all these I have the Tivo service and I adore the "click once to record" features that it possesses. Now the thing is that I want to have a THIRD PARTY DVR so that I can enjoy all these features without paying the cost. I do not want to pay any subscription fee to both the cable company and the Tivo. Is this thing possible at all? Any suggestions in this matter will be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Third Party Digital Video Recorder without Service

Well I am sure that there is a way by which you can have all these things in a single go. I think that the particular thing that can help you fetch all these things is Windows Media Center. Windows Media Center is the exact thing that I would suggest you to go for. As per the requirements that you have mentioned I think it will perfectly match to all the requirements. Just try this and let me know if that helped you in any matter. Hope that you will find my suggestion worth.

I would also suggest you to go with the same as what Eru has suggested. Windows Media Center is the perfect thing that can fulfill all your needs in a very nice manner. Using it you will be able to record live TV shows and movies directly on your system. It can also help you in scheduling and recording in advance. It can also assist you to record new episodes automatically. I think it is the best thing that you all can go for. With a voluntary Windows Media Center remote control, you can plan recordings and play all the recorded content. If at all you are not having the remote then you can make use of the mouse and keyboard to take hold of the on-screen transport controls.

Thanks a lot for the various replies and let me tell you that I was thinking to have the same thing for me. I am ready to go that way but I have some of the issues with the same. The thing at the moment is not allowing me to go for the same is the splitters that I have on my cable line. I have heard that splitting the line on that manner is really going to degrade the internet connection that I am having. In addition to that I want to know how beneficial would it be if I use the remote. I have the things well in the comfortable manner but I feel irritating when I have to get out of the bed and pause the thing. Any suggestions, regarding the same? Waiting for the replies.

Good that you found the Windows Media Center useful for yourself and having the remote is also a better choice. I also use the same thing for recording the MOVIES and the remote control that came along with the TV tuner card is also marvelous. I think going with this is a smart choice to have. I also find the things really lazy and in that case having the remote is really beneficial. The only thing that you will have to take care of is the SOCKET that you are going to have. I was having the socket-AM2+ HTPC and the new one which I bought was socket-AM3 785G, had little issues with the same but however I managed to get rid of the same. Please see that when you go to buy the thing you do not end up in having something that is incompatible with the current system of yours.

If you want to have some more suggestions on the same and want to have some clear idea on the Digital Video Recorder then we have some of the similar threads that are made on the similar lines. Just look at those threads and I am sure that you will find them somewhat supportive and descriptive. Here is the link: Airtel Digital TV Recorder and Best Digital Video Recorder Big tv/ Tata sky/Dish tv.