Thread: Single personel computer for File Server, Router and Gaming

Single personel computer for File Server, Router and Gaming

First of all I want to tell you that do not laugh or tease on my problem. I am suffering from financial problem. I need to build system on low budget so that it can satisfy my 3 most important features. I want a PC for a multiple purpose such as for file sharing, routing and gaming. Can it be achieved in a single box other than spending several dollars for the second one? How can I build this system together 3 function if possible?

Re: Single personel computer for File Server, Router and Gaming

There is no problem in including all the functions together in a single medium. But you need to aware that whether the OS can take these feature process together or not? Some OS might not handle some of the task due to its limitation. You can use at least 2 functions eventually without any disruption. The other feature may lacks of its service some time. So it is depends on you to choose the right OS.

The Virtual machines in windows will give you a possible method to complete this task. Do you know about Virtual Machine? It is a software implementation of a computer that which works similarly as a physical machine. It is a powerful duplicate of a real machine. You will obviously need a running router in the Virtual Machine which is the really painful issue. That means if you could get online you have to wait until the VM going to start.

You can make things easier using the virtual machine. When the gaming section comes to front, the windows or the system needs a proper access of the 3D resources, which you will not get it inside the VM.The VM doesn’t perform well on gaming. You will need a several virtual resources to experience the efficient gaming, which are very painful to find.

Why do you want to dig all the 3 functions in a single box instead you have a choice to buy a separate router at a low cost. The file serving and gaming will not make any sense on windows, but sharing of the online connection really heal up the windows. As far as the Linux is concerned file server and router functions works perfect but you will not get the gaming experience. It is depends on you to select the 2 most useful functions within the 3 and choose a right or appropriate OS.

This is really a mad idea. The current bandwidth of the internet will not support a busy server with a function like file sharing and the gaming. This will decrease the performance. The routing cannot handle while the other 2 functions running. You may need more than 5Mbps internet connection or even the better kind of technology.