Thread: Intel Storage System SSR212MA problems

Intel Storage System SSR212MA problems

This time I would imagine even my Intel Storage System SSR212MA NAS Station. It is a quiet relative network storage solution with a capacity of 2 TB. With the very latest firmware 1.4 is also 750 GB and 1 TB hard drives are supported, then you have to RAID 5, a capacity of 3 TB.The Intel Entry Storage System SSR212MA is an intelligent network storage solution for small and medium-sized offices and home networks. But I have been heard that there are some problems while transferring the data from that storage system (and also to that Storage System) along with the Back Up Status Reporting Issue. I am looking for that storage system, but don't want to purchase the waste things. After purchasing, once I came to know that purchased thing was crap, then I will feel very bad. So thought to take some advice from the scholars hanging out there. Please provide some helpful information about the Intel Storage System SSR212MA.

Re: Intel Storage System SSR212MA problems

I have read the article in which they have described that an Intel newly discovered a reporting problem with the Intel Storage System SAN SSR316MJ2 & SSR212MA 6.3.41.x. Software and the Intel RAID Controller Firmware SRCS28X 814c. The SAN Software disable the SRCS28X May. Controller RAID cache, even though the Backup Battery charge status is good, because the RAID SRCS28X. May Controller incorrectly report the Back up Battery charge status as bad? If the cache is SRCS28X RAID Controller. Disabled, Degradation in performance Will Be Experienced.

For the Battery Back Up Status Reporting Issue, that has been root caused to a quandary with the status coverage on the SRCS28X RAID Controller batteries and fixed in 814G firmware. Their internal legalization shows that the real battery behavior (conserving the cache in a power loss, and hindering the cache when the battery is not completely charged) is working appropriately and is now correctly reported in the SAN software after the patch upgrade. Intel has determined this issue in the SRCS28X 814G upgrade patch released on 10/25/06, available via support site at:
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/

I am having the Intel SS4000-E NAS Station, but didn't got any issues with it. When I took the NAS station in reception, she was stable and the supplied accessories in a large box. To open the box I needed a sharp knife, because it is laced with adhesive tapes. So when I finally had this box, I saw the NAS Station, which is enclosed in a protective film, and all the accessories, which I'm still the same. Overall I am very pleased with the packaging because it is securely packed and therefore nothing can go wrong. With included in the 4 Hot Swap framework for hard drives , network cable and a software CD. A power cable was not supplied. I find this unfortunate, but it can be understood by the international nature of Intel. In the supplied hot-swap framework needs to screw the hard drives and then insert it into the NAS case and lock. There are Intel's a list of tested hard drives but there are other hard drive in the enclosure. I opted for 4 Seagate ST3500630AS hard drives with 500 GB capacity. In this way, I get the RAID 5 is a net capacity of 1.5 TB. So I find the design quite appealing. The NAS enclosure is black and has the dimensions of 216x159x241 mm (HxWxD) and has a Wiped of 5 kg. On the front seven LEDs provide information on the operation, state of the system, state of the hard drives and connection status, including activity on the two network connections. The hot swap front frame are inserted into the device. The numbering of the disks goes from top to bottom. On the back are the 2 network ports ( Gigabyte ), 2 USB ports and the IEC power connector. In addition, the rear are still 2 fans, a 25 mm fan for the power supply (200 W) and a 80 mm fan for the hard drives.

I would like to discuss about the installation of it. The installation is a software provided to the device in the network searches in Internet Explorer and then configure the device. Here are led by a wizard and sets the desired RAID status for data security and formatted the disk system. The TCP-IP address of the device is set. You can configure both network cards in different networks. In addition, you put here the user (Linux or Mac) or adds the NAS in an Active Directory under Windows. Here are the releases of the hard drive in conjunction with the users and the permissions are defined. In the web interface can be configured or an e-mail notification for alerts and you can view the system status. It is with the included software allows a computer to back up the NAS to store station. For this purpose, a license is provided. Additional licenses must be purchased separately. I use this function, so I can not say this. The USB ports I use, since I only had a RAID system, secure data management will have one for. The USB ports are, however, support USB hard drives with FAT32. NTFS is not supported here. You should keep this in mind. I've even taken a test under load (file copy), a 500 GB hard drive from the RAID 5 system. The copying process is continued to run and the unit has reported an error of the proposed drive. After about a minute, put back what has the NAS is a rebuild of the hard drives start dates. This takes the used 500 GB hard drive 20 hours, which is normal.

Internet Protocol (IP) SAN systems, such as the Intel Storage System SSR212MA the promising iSCSI standard to utilize for data transport over obtainable network infrastructures. With industry-standard acquiescent hardware architectures and new-fangled, uncomplicated SAN management tools, systems, the price of SAN considerably reduced. IP SAN systems are thus in a reach of most companies. With an Intel Xeon Dual Core processor 2, 8 GHz, supporting up to 12 Serial ATA (SATA) hard drives, iSCSI or Fibre Channel connection and spontaneous SAN management tools, the Intel Storage System SSR212MA straightforward management of storage resources. With plenty headroom, the system is able to swiftly growing demands of an IT administrator to cover. The following are the Technical Details for Intel Storage System SSR212MA:
    • Additional Information - Intel Storage System SSR212MA - hard drive array
    • Device Type - Disk Array
    • Art - Rack - rack-mountable - 2U
    • Interface - iSCSI
    • Host Channels - 2
    • Installed Devices / Modules - 0 (installed) / 12 (max)
    • Supported Drives - Serial ATA-300
    • Dimensions (width x depth x height) - 44.7 cm x 63.1 cm x 8.7 cm
    • Weight - 16 kg
    • Storage Controller - 2 x RAID (Serial ATA-300) - RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, 50
    • Hard Drive - 0 hot-swap Serial ATA-300
    • Redundant power supply - Optional

The initials are reflected, and each shares two words - network and storage. However, NAS and SAN are very different in design and implementation, and therefore different solutions as to what Intel data storage system is right for certain business applications. One is not necessarily better than the other, the preferred method of storage simply depends on business needs and existing infrastructure. Today, the functionality of a NAS and SAN are very similar, however, there are some technical differences. The main technical differences between NAS and SAN are, a NAS identifies data by file name and byte offsets, transfer of data files or file metadata (file owner, permissions, creation data, etc.), and handles security, authentication user file locking. SAN addresses identifies a data disk block number and transfers raw blocks calls normally through SCSI disk. When looking at two solutions to Intel's storage networking, the benefits of both NAS and SAN show marked differences. First, a NAS device is a storage or a combination of multiple devices storage connected to the existing local area network (LAN). A NAS is used to download valuable corporate data in a location of storage that is still easily accessible through the file and application servers across the corporate LAN. A typical solution NAS is a dedicated server for file sharing network with a TCP / IP. Intel SSR212MA devices Storage Solutions NAS allows more hard disk space is added to a network that uses master servers and other applications. The Intel device delivers the data to the user for the existing LAN. There is no need for the Intel device found in a given server. Can exist anywhere on a LAN with several NAS devices.

By contrast, a SAN device comprises storage that are networked (historically through a fiber backbone of high-velocity) separate from the existing corporate LAN. SSR212MA Intel's main method SAN Storage Server to connect to the storage is iSCSI. This is a solution more interoperable and cost effective. In short, a SAN is a high speed sub-network devices storage sharing (machines that contain nothing but the disks to store data) that can still be accessed by users through file and application servers. The SSR212MA can make all the devices of storage available to all servers on a LAN or wide area network (WAN). When the devices of storage are added to the Intel server SAN, which can be accessed from any server on the network. Furthermore, the ability of storage can be added to the system storage SAN, as necessary without breaking into the corporate network. Intel server is a bridge between the stored data and the end user. Therefore, the differences between a NAS and SAN can be highlighted in its main benefits.

The reimbursement of Intel SS4000-E NAS solutions storage comprise methods to protect, manage and share information. The device permits end users to access the identical set of files through ordinary corporate network. Data exchange is done speedily and effortlessly while maintaining the security of having a device for storing dissimilar. The cost of NAS devices, such as the SS4000-E, has fallen lately and the escalating size of storage and attractive to small businesses as part of its plans for data backup. As a bonus, since the SS4000-E NAS solution of storage is always obtainable online, supported by the data available to restore at LAN speeds without the required to locate the correct tape. Complete data fortification and provides advanced by supporting RAID levels 10, 5 and 1. In short, a company to execute a storage operation and design of backup should focus on carefully and efficiently handling their data. Although a solution for network storage Intel is not unavoidably better than the other, each has obvious distinctions. How the SS4000-E NAS solution for storage or SSR212MA SAN Storage Server can be used depends on the requirements of the company and its network design.