Thread: Samsung Spinpoint V20400 hard drive makes clicking noise

Samsung Spinpoint V20400 hard drive makes clicking noise

I have a HP desktop system. I bought it one and half years ago .Since a couple of week ago I am experiencing some problem in my computer. My tower starts making some odd noises whenever I power on the system. I think it is my hard drive that is the culprit. It produces clicking noise . My system has samsung Spinpoint V20400. The noise is annoying me very much as I cannot concentrate on my work.

Re: Samsung Spinpoint V20400 hard drive makes clicking noise

You can test the the functionality and the reliability of the SCSI, IDE and SATA drives hard drives through DFT or the Drive fitness test. Potential hard drives failures can lead to loss of crucial data, so it is always advisable to keep a backup stored. You will have to create a self-booting media to run the DFT . A DFT is a personal computer based progran that have the access to the micricodes hard drives and runs a diagnosis on the hard drives.

Hard drives produce noises such as tick tick or clicking noises, however very few have noticed that the noise goes louder and clear when the system is idle, on the contrary when it is forced to do something such as defragmenting the drive then there is a reduction in the noise. The basic and temporary solution is to reboot the system and check if it happens again

The hard drives produce clicking noises even if the firmware is not updated. Check the status of the hard drive in the BIOS. Such problem occur when Windows Vista is used as an operating system, If you have Linux Ubuntu installed check if the same problem persists. Another solution is to upgrade firmware. Go to the support/downloads of the hard drive's manufacturer's website. and check for the latest updates.