Thread: can't print with a shared printer in Windows 7

can't print with a shared printer in Windows 7

I am using a HP photo-smart c4280 and I just installed each and every latest driver for Windows 7. The printer is linked to my laptop and when I attempt to print from my desktop the printer does not print any matter. We share the same network and home group. I also have enabled the printer sharing. I can share files/ photos and the whole thing else. I also observe the printers in my network. I have also tried to insert the printer as a local printer. Any idea or thoughts why could this be happening? And give any tips to solve this problem.
    Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it.-- Max Frisch 1911 -1991

Re: can't print with a shared printer in Windows 7

I also had same problem. I originate it was to perform with the security settings on the home group. I also had to add my laptop to the home group. So in the control panel there is the home group password. I had to add the laptop to the home group via using the assigned password. Here the criteria are this:
    1. As usual click on the start button and after this click on control panel.
    2. Below the Network and Internet choose home group and sharing options.
    3. Then click on join now and after that follow the home group wizard to enter password.

This must help you to print with a shared printer.
    Last edited by Hardwareman; 28-10-2010 at 12:56 AM.

Is the print obtained to the laptop? First do one thing, pause the printer on the laptop. Send the work from the desktop. Does the work you send, appear in the queue view on the laptop?? If No, then there is a problem with connectivity, first you require to get this figured out. This can be security or some network problem. Or if yes, then Unpause or release the printer and Watch the queue. Does the work obtain scheduled or starts printing?? If yes then check the eventlog - Applications and Services – Microsoft – Windows – PrintService – Admin.
    If there is not anything in the Admin section then enables the Operational log - pause and then print again. Does the work obtain scheduled or starts printing?? Disable Bidirectional on the Ports tab of the printer properties.

I think this problem is because of the event you set. Open the Event Viewer in Control Panel below Administration tools or simply type ‘eventvwr.msc at’ in the Start – Run and open Event Viewer. Navigate to Applications and Services – Microsoft – Windows – PrintService – Admin.
    If it is empty or there is nothing in the Admin section enables the ‘Operational log’. Pause and print once again. I don’t have any more idea about your issue like: What user account name is linked with the print job? Did you added/setup the home group more than once? I am assuming that, this is a security problem. Now it is just a stuff of finding out what resource the print job owner does not have access to. I'd start with \windows\system32\spool\printers. The Users group has Read, Create file, Create Folder permissions by default. This must help you to solve your problem.