Thread: Empty external hard drive

Empty external hard drive

I had a Celeron system which was working slow, then I decided to change my system configuration.I upgraded my system and made a few changes, bought a new motherboard , AMD Turion processor, installed 2GB RAM in the memory , and 500GB of external hard disk. However later on I found that that 500 GB of hard drive was insufficient, so I decided to go for an external hard drive. But as I connect my external hard drive to my USB port, my external hard drive drive does not show my files and contents stored in it. I had saved my important files which I do not want to lose in it. So please help me in fixing this issue.
    Last edited by Gandhik; 27-10-2010 at 12:06 AM.

Re: Empty external hard drive

Check the memory of the external hard drive, right click on the hard drive icon then click on properties, check for the used space, free space and total size of the hard drive. If the hard drive shows 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free, then there is a problem with the hard drive itself i.e the hard drive which you bought might have gone bad or the files in it may be corrupted or in an unrecognized format. This can be because of the virus. USB drives usually fall prey to virus attacks. So in order to avoid further damage it is always suggested to keep the system installed with updated Anti-Virus and always keep a data back up.
    Last edited by T.J.; 27-10-2010 at 12:03 AM.

As you said upgraded your system , installed RAM, extended the internal hard drive, and changed the processor as well but the cabinet is the same. There is a chance that the issue which you are currently facing is because of the up gradation you have done in your system. you have almost changed the whole system and one of the device which you newly installed is conflicting with your external hard drive or some of the systems default settings might have changed to a new setting.

You should try to connect and check your external hard drive with different USB port availaible. Most of cabinets now a days provide at least two USB ports either at the front and side portion of the beasel. If the hard drive operates well in any of the other ports then there is an issue with the hard drive itself, but if still the problem persists then there is a certain issue with the USB ports and its settings. Another way to isolate the problem is to connect the hard drive to any other system and check whether the files are visible. if the hard drive gets detected then the settings somehow got changed and if the hard drive not get detected then the hard drive got bad or corrupted.

Check the mode of the files you have saved in your external hard drives. It is pretty obvious that if the mode is hidden then you will not be able to see and access any of the files as they are hidden. To check the mode follow the given steps:
    • Open the command prompt by typing 'cmd' in the search box.
    • All the disks visbile are represented by some alphabet.
    • Let us assume that the alphabet representing external hard drive is 'G'.
    • Type the command attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* in the command prompt then press Enter.
    • Now check the contents.

jonnyroy7 Guest

Before you wipe the hard drive, any piece of data or applications on another computer before you want to use the contents of a disk, the file not be recovered from the disc after it may have been cut If a backup copy. Sponsored Links.External Mac's hard drive for storage capacity are a popular choice for bulking. Framework, including data backup can be used for many purposes, storing large files.